The lessons of history

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hazelton from ? (208.229.128.26) on Friday, September 14, 2001 at 1:55am :

In Reply to: A real hero! posted by DrBrody from spider-mtc-ti052.proxy.aol.com (64.12.101.172) on Wednesday, September 12, 2001 at 7:49pm :

Remember, until now, skyjackers have simply taken aircraft to other countries and used the passengers (and aircraft) as hostages, so it's understandable why the passengers and crew of the skyjacked planes didn't catch on to the terrorists' plan to kamikaze into national landmarks. It seems so painfully obvious now, but hindsight is 20/20, and we've had plenty of time to figure this out, but the people on those planes didn't. Futhermore, the media is reporting that according to people who were called by passengers on the skyjacked jets, the skyjackers had told them that they had bombs on the plane.

I'm pretty sure that Mace is proscribed from carry-on bags. It's just an aerosol can, though, and could possibly be disguised as travel-sized shaving cream or hairspray or some such. Was Mace used? I don't know, could be...

I work for an airline at an airport. I've been wondering how long it would take for America's enemies to exploit the laughably seivelike so-called "security" at our airports and do something like this. Airport security has been geared mostly toward preventing disgruntled former employees from bursting into a flight and shooting their former supervisors. Every time I've gone through the metal detectors and had my belt buckle or the steel shanks in my Alden 405's set off the alarm, I've disgustedly thought to myself that if I really wanted to do some damage, the clownish Rent-A-Keystone-Kops at the "security" checkpoint would be absolutely powerless to prevent me.

As someone on this forum said earlier, you're not any less safe today than you were on 9/10, it's just that now your little bubble has been burst. I'm not saying this to frighten you, it's just that I believe that the better you know the risks and the more complete the information you have the better the decisions you can reach. Commercial passenger aviation is still the safest method of travel yet devised by man. You're statistically more likely to be killed by a mule than in a plane crash.

Keep 'em flying,

Hazelton

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com