Re: Indy jacket in cowhide

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from 24.4.254.97 on December 02, 1998 at 20:15:49:

In Reply to: Indy jacket in cowhide posted by Kay on November 29, 1998 at 12:57:44:

: Hi everybody!
: I've read in the previous forum entries that peole wanted to order Indy jacket in cowhide. I would be very interested in the results because I am having trouble choosing between lambskin and cow: I don't want the jacket to be flimsy, but it'd be bad if it looked like a bikers jacket.
: I'd be thankful for any input on this matter.
: Sincerely,
: Kay.

Kay, check out forum archive 26 and the thread starting with Wested Last Crusade Jacket (it' not very far down the board). The poster who wrote the message just bought a cowhide Last Crusade Jacket and he talks a little about his general opinion (positive, btw). He's the only person who posts here (to the best of my knowledge) that has a cowhide Wested. You might want to email him for details, and more in-depth impressions. If you want my opinion, I say go for the lambskin. I don't own a Wested yet, but I do own a cowhide A-2 jacket, and my father owns two lambskin bomber type jackets, so I think I can tell you some basic differences between the two types. Cowhide is heavier and harder than lambskin, but from what I've learned on the board, lambskin is as strong, if not stronger, as cowhide. On a purely aesthetic level, lambskin looks nicer, feels softer to the touch and is more comfortable to wear. If you're worried about durability, I think you can put those fears to rest. My father's jackets are 10 and 8 years old, and they still are silkly smooth and unmarked, and this man is very hard on clothes. There are also posters on this board who have had lambskin Westeds for just as long and these jackets are still going strong, too.

Another point to consider, is that a few people on this board have both the lambskin Wested and the cowhide Lucasfilm knock-off sold through Disney. I don't think a single one of them preferred the cowhide version to the lambskin, though admittedly the Wested cowhide would probably be a higher grade. Still, it is an additional factor to consider. However, don't just take my word for it, do some more studying before making your decision. I think you should go back and browse the archives for the many testimonials from happy Wested customers. You should also go to this great Indy site, Indy's Diggs, which is a FAQ about Indy costume items. The URL is http://www.wans.net/~pentagon/diggs/ and there is a lot of useful information regarding the jacket, ordering, etc. If you still decide to go with cowhide after reading all this, that's cool, and you will be sure about what you want instead of wondering if you made the right choice.

Good luck,

Laurie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: