Indy poll!

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from adsl-63-201-103-106.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (63.201.103.106) on Monday, September 17, 2001 at 6:44pm :

What was it about one or all of the three films that really hooked you? In fact, maybe it was the YIJC series?

For me it was really a few different things. Probably first and foremost is the period. I am a sucker for anything having to do with the 1930's and 1940's. I have always been a fan of old films - especially Humphrey Bogart's movies. African Queen, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and Casablanca all have that Indy feel to them, though I also enjoy The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon. I have also always been a bit of an easy mark for stories having to do with the occult and the supernatural. When you throw in a hero who pushes the envelope, if you will, then I'm in every time.

Raiders specifically hooked me because of all of the above, but also because of the time in which it came out. The late 1970's and early 1980's were really a kind of a dark time in the US. The economy was terrible, inflation and interest rates were out of control. There really was not that much to feel good about being an American. Some of you may recall that at the time Marion’s line, “You can’t do this to me – I’m an American!” got a really big laugh back then. A bit of self-deprecation? Anyway, escapism and adventure was really a rare commodity in films before Star Wars. The genesis of Raiders really says it all - Spielberg and Lucas made the movie because it was a movie they just wanted to see. Their enthusiasm paid off, and I was hooked in the process.

Anybody else?

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL: