I was going to mention Gladiator.....

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from ? (63.201.187.189) on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 at 6:23pm :

In Reply to: Re: Raiders' Raven Bar gunfight. posted by MK from adsl-63-194-18-73.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (63.194.18.73) on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 at 4:45pm :

but I thought I had ripped on Ridley enough. I thought that the build up and suspense of the opining scene right up to the battle were great. I was deeply disappointed in the execution of the battle scene itself. Yeah, you're right. Besides the quick editing and the insertion of close shots is part of the reason I get that claustrophobic feeling when watching those scenes. Now that I think about it, all three Indiana Jones movies have great and easy to follow fight scenes. I do think that Raiders had the best choreographed scenes though. It must have been Glen Randall's doing. Does anyone know why he only did the first movie?

xxxxxxxxxxxx

: I agree. Editing has gotten to choppy for my taste. Steven Seagal's first movie, "Above the Law" had really great fight scenes. They were edited using more of the master shots and two shots. You could see the fight! In his later movies, they used move close-ups and inserts. Also the cuts were much faster. Now I can't tell what is happening.

: You can see the fights in Raiders because there are almost no close-ups and inserts.

: I love Ridley Scott's work, but another example of less than great editing is in Gladiator. The scene where he is being taken into the woods to be executed, that is SO chopped up, I thought one of the guards was helping Russell Crowe! When they cut back to the master shot, I was confused. Where's the other guy? Did he kill him too? That one took me minute to figure out.

: Don't even get me started on the erosion music videos...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com