...but I demur..

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-2.col.cableone.net (24.116.26.2) on Friday, September 21, 2001 at 7:42pm :

In Reply to: Atlantis is an interesting story, but... posted by Briede from host-216-79-214-83.sld.bellsouth.net (216.79.214.83) on Friday, September 21, 2001 at 7:04pm :

: I really doubt Plato's realibility as a historian. I feel it is no more real than the image of the cave in The Republic. It was meant to teach a lesson. It was literaly an Utopia: No Place.
: Briede

because History is written by the conquerers. That being said, it is entirely within the realm of possibility, that myths and legends, are based on facts, and passed on orally, until finally written down. That the myths and legends might vary over time is a peculiar human tradition, but it ain't necessarily so. The story of Atlantis may be pure fiction, but for some reason, I feel it has it's origin in fact. Have you heard of the great controversy regarding the age of the Sphinx? Certain geologists concur that the body has been eroded by water, an impossibility if it was in fact constructed during the Old Kingdom. But, I tend to lean toward their assertions, as geology is a much more precise science than physical anthropology. Could there be some sort of relationship between the Sphinx and Atlantis? That the original story came from Egypt may not be a coincidence. Who knows? It does make for interesting conversation. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com