Not true

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace106.utsi.edu (150.182.24.106) on Monday, October 08, 2001 at 3:09pm :

In Reply to: Tilting the gun on it's side suposedly loads the round into the chamber quicker. posted by Vogel from spider-wo033.proxy.aol.com (205.188.200.33) on Saturday, October 06, 2001 at 3:01pm :

Magazines feeds are controlled by the strength of the spring in the well, not gravity. Laying or tilting the pistol on it's side can cause most pistols to jam. The only time it's recommend to tilt the pistol is if it stovepipes are round, you smack the butt of the pistol with the heel of your hand, rack the jam out of the pistol while hold it sideways, then rack another round into the chamber, as the smack on the butt reseats the loaded rounds in the mag, allowing for straighter feeding. Other than that, it's never recommended to fire side ways, tilted, or any other way. (all according to training practices at the Florida Highway Patrol training academy in Tallahassee, FL. I was tasked to videotape this training, and it was drilled over and over again regarding this clearing practice, and the non-tilt firing of the weapon) Firing sideways is all Hollywood, and just looks neat, but you're setting yourself up for a jam everytime. Now, help me down off my soapbox. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

: That way the bullet doesn't have to travel UP the magazine into the chamber, it uses Gravity to it's advantage by going sideways... They shoot quantity instead of quality.

: Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of that style shooting. I own 15 firearms, all dating between 1906 and 1932. When it comes to guns, I'm very classically minded!

: -Vogel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com