Re: Obviously don't try this at home...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-121.col.cableone.net (24.116.26.121) on Friday, October 12, 2001 at 9:18pm :

In Reply to: Obviously don't try this at home... posted by Micah from ? (66.40.232.22) on Friday, October 12, 2001 at 2:31pm :

: A lot of peace activism comes from fear. Some think if we hunker down and take it, the "bully" will get bored and walk away. These people, however, aren't angry at us for hitting them. They despise our material riches and freedoms.

: Others peace activism is rooted in something nobler. Jesus tells us to turn the other cheek. In some cases, stopping the cycle of violence by withholding retaliation can be helpful.

: In this case, however, I prefer to think that we are not seeking revenge, but rather stopping those elements that will try to try to commit such crimes on humanity again.

: Regardless of which way you think, please respect the opinion of others and don't create any more violence than there needs to be.

: --Micah

I can understand religious conviction expressing itself in peace activism. When I read what Jesus had to say about violence, it makes good religious sense to turn the other cheek. That being said, I must also admit that I can't do it. If people are truly demonstrating because of religious beliefs, I look on them with admiration. It would take a hell of a guy to lose a loved one through terrorism, and then still maintain their convictions. If someone is a peace activist for any other reason than religious, I would have to seriously question his character. He is either a coward, or so brainwashed by someone elses ideology that he is no good to anyone. We must never forget, that we were attacked. If we are not prepared to fight for our homes, as a nation, we won't endure. I was around and witnessed countless peace demonstrations during the late 60's and early 70's. Those "sit ins" were understandable in retrospect because of the politics of the Vietnam War. But, the current situation is much different. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com