Back from the Island, and with a book report.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Operator Jake from 206-13-102-157.ded.pacbell.net (206.13.102.157) on Saturday, October 13, 2001 at 5:47pm :

Greetings, folks! It's been a few weeks for me out on San Clemente Island to support the phase three BUD/S guys, and with plenty of time to stand watches and read over there, I managed to get through "Secret of the Sphinx." Anyone else read this one?
Okay, thus far, I've read "Dino Eggs," "Hollow Earth," which has been my favorite thus far, and now this one.
Overall, a good read, but I was sort of disappointed with the things that Indy says at times. This was especially true with "Dino Eggs," with the moment of dialouge so mind-bogglingly bad I smacked my forehead in exasperation (namely where Indy drains a bottle of root beer, smacks his lips and announces out loud to no one "I love root beer!") This went against the grain since even a semi-enthusiast understands that Indy is a man of action, not bad dialouge.
Also, I felt a little unhappy at the difficulty Indy was having when it came time to assert himself in "Sphinx." Since the story takes place a year or two before "Temple" or "Raiders," I'm guessing that somewhere in between his adventures at the Sphinx and then the Temple, he took some time to go the Y and get some boxing lessons. He was taking a little more of a beating from a Japanese warrant officer and a spymaster than one would expect from a guy who later decked a huge Thugee and gave a bald Nazi mechanic a run for his marcs. True enough, there is always a tougher guy in the world who wants a piece of your hindquarters, but this is Indy we're talking about here.
The villians, in particular Jadoo, were never very well explained, and as such, I found that I didn't care one way or the other about them. I'm guessing that he was the "madman bent on rewritting humanity's last chapter" that the back of the book was talking about.
Sure he was.
Still, it was Indy, and I'm with the guy all the way. So enough nitpicking from this kid. Anyone else care to share their thoughts on this one?
Back on the strand, I'm still (patiently) awaiting the arrival of the black Indy jacket from USWings, and I'm starting to tap my foot a little. The nights in San Diego aren't getting any warmer, and warm (and dry) is what you wish to be when work is secured for the day.
Hope to talk to you folks later. Let's be careful out there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com