Liner note to above post

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Cox from proteus.bluep.com (203.26.36.21) on Saturday, November 10, 2001 at 4:49pm :

In Reply to: Re: Since we're on the subject of Indy on the silver screen...... posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Friday, November 09, 2001 at 1:26pm :

Hey from Australia
I saw raiders on the day it premiered in melbourne,it was the first Thursday of our Christmas holidays(back in 81).Raiders ran a full year at the cinema and then was given a summer rerelease.It then ran on the bigscreen until the release of T.O.D and for a few months it was possible to see them both on the big screen on the same day(even though raiders was avaliabe on VHS,it was the first successfull marketing of a commercially availably movie here in Aus).This was happening at the larger venues and not at the independants.
Raiders was playing all this past week at The Rivoli cinema in melbourne all this week.So far noone has rescreened Last Crusade in melbourne since its original release.
Later all
sam
: I remember Raiders was in our theater the entire summer, and then it was re-released the next summer and was around for a couple of months then. That's one of the very few I even remember being around that long in my home town. Star Wars was another, but most of the "summer blockbusters" were set up contractually to be able to stay on a theater screen for an entire summer, REGARDLESS of the ticket sales. I know this is still the practice today in a lot of theaters. You have to guarantee projected sales to secure a movie for your theater. Our small two screen theater had to do this to get the last SW movie, and almost went belly up, as they packed them in for one week, and all of a sudden the "market" went away. They were stuck with one screen showing SW to an empty auditorium an entire summer. At least the movie companies recognize that with the sale of a title to DVD or video, they're at least still guaranteed a return on their initial investment. I do agree though, it's hard to beat the real thing in ANY form other than the original theater experience. Regards. Michaelson

: : one major drawback of video and dvd is that movies only play for a short time on the big screen before they are pulled. Video and dvd also means that movies are no longer re-released on the big screen. In the long run I wouldn't trade instant home access to movies away, but it "bums" me out a little that once a movie is off the big screen, it's gone. I saw Raiders over and over again as a kid. My birthday is in May and I remember seeing Return of the Jedi a year into it's run at the same theater I saw it at originally. I seem to remember it leaving the theater in December, a full year and a half after its initial release date. It is also hard to convey the excitement one had when seeing a re-release trailer. Watching a re-released movie felt like a bonus. In some ways it was more fun than the original release (anticipation of meeting an old friend). The last movie I remember seeing on it's second run was Temple of Doom. By Last Crusade, video was of course in full force, so no re-release.
: : There would be a lot less of us fans if not for video and nothing beats turning on the tube for instant access. It's just that you appreciated seeing the movie all the more back in the day, Sunny (grin). Cheers

: : xxxxxxx

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com