400 series steel? 18/8?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0016.cvx19-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net (209.179.244.16) on Monday, November 12, 2001 at 9:20am :

In Reply to: Re: Did Indy. . . posted by Anejo Joe from 204.raleigh-05-10rs16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net (12.77.117.204) on Monday, November 12, 2001 at 6:18am :

Stainless steel was invented in Sheffield, England in1913 when a chemist was looking for a new alloy that could be used to produce more wear-resistant rifle barrels. Chromium was added to the steel (today, nickel, molybdenum and/or titanium are often added). The resulting thin layer of metal oxides that formed on the steel's surface made it "stainless steel".

It's mostly chromium oxide that protects the stainless steel from progressive corrosion ("rusting"). This protective surface layer is self-renewing. That means, if it get's rubbed off, a new layer will form as soon as the steel comes in contact with oxygen.

Most of the different types of stainless steel were invented between 1913 and the 1930s. A designation like 18/8 it means that this particular stainless steel contains roughly 74% iron (there is also a bit carbon left), exactly 18% chromium and 8 % nickel. 18/8 stainless steel was invented in 1924. Most stainless steel contains between 10 and 20% of chromium. Duplex stainless steel represents the latest in modern steel (it's from the 70s).

One general problem with stainless steel is the lack of surface hardness. Stainless steel is not necessarily the best choice for bearings and really sharp blades. That's why chefs prefer carbon steel blades. Those blades can be sharpened to hold a much finer edge. Of course, they rust rapidly (within minutes) when they get moist.

Here is a picture of my favorite British pocket knife. It's made in Sheffield, the birthplace of stainless steel:

As for Indy's gun: I have no clue and I don't think he knew either. But I would think his gun was made from stainless...

FG

: Did Indy have a stainless or nickel plated gun? I think not! The man had taste! Besides, had stainless been invented then?
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com