Re: Not to ruffle any feathers.....

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 at 1:26pm :

In Reply to: Not to ruffle any feathers..... posted by Shawnkara from spider-wm072.proxy.aol.com (205.188.199.182) on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 at 0:01am :

Well, simply because HJ was known and named as the hat maker before TofD was ever produced, or was at least in my original research back in 1983, so it wasn't a matter of "just adding a film to his credit", but you make a valid point regarding the various and sundry types of fedoras that surfaced on the screen of Raiders. I know from discussion with Mr. Swales in the past that he stated he did indeed make the dress hat that Mr. Ford wore, specifically those used in the scenes shot in Hollywood, such as the boarding the plane for Nepal, as well as the last shot on the staircase (which if memory serves me correctly, may have been done either in England OR Hollywood). I do know those to be HJ's from a couple of sources, but as to the actual "action" fedora, well, I'm a believer in the story given by the designer that it was one picked up and made INTO the hat we see in the outside shots from Cairo. The hat used in the Well of Souls I personally believe to also be an HJ, as those shots were done in England on set. But long story short, HJ was known BEFORE the second movie came out, and the credit wasn't tagged as theorized after the second movie came out. Regards. Michaelson

: On the hat discussion.... this'll ruffle some feathers for sure, but I've personally NEVER believed that Herbert Johnson made supplied the 'Raiders' hat. In the bowels of Indygear it's mentioned what tedious task it was to narrow down all the 'wannabees' claiming to have done the work just to sell whatever similiar product they had and the true suppliers. David Morgan, Alden, and Wested are the only ones I've ever placed any faith in. Somethings you can just look at and know. Wested, even the earlier jackets, were obvious. I believe Peter was working from memory more than original patterns, but you could just tell. From the first time I vied the HJ pics at Indygear three years ago I said to myself, "That's not even close." Peter claims to have made the jackets for all three films, but it's widely believed he did not supply them for ToD. The hat in ToD and LC are clearly HJs, but not Raiders. What would have kept HJ from just 'adding' a film to his credit the way it's believed Peter did? Just a thought.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com