I sent my responses. Here's what I had to say.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KyleS from ? (209.191.163.10) on Thursday, November 15, 2001 at 2:42pm :

In Reply to: Re: Interview with Indy fans... posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Thursday, November 15, 2001 at 1:36pm :

Dear Elisa,
I read about the paper you are writing concerning Indiana Jones. I hope my answers to your questions help out. I'm sure a lot of fans would like to see your paper posted when it's completed.

1) Why does everyone dislike the Temple of Doom?
I think that such a broad statement such as this is unfair to the many people that do like ToD. I happen to enjoy ToD very much. But I think that one of the reasons why it doesn't have as much of a following is because it doesn't balance the horror and comedy elements very well. While the other two movies have some humor in them they don't get so "cartoony" like 'Temple of Doom' does. At times ToD is very dark and horrific but then it will take a turn to the over-comedic. As if the film makers felt that they were getting to scary for the little ones in the audience. It just seems too self aware. Where as 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' while still fun, doesn't pander to the audience in the same way as ToD.
I happen to enjoy watching 'Temple of Doom' because it still captures the essence of the fun Saturday matinee serial adventures from the past. Also, Harrison Ford does a great job of anchoring the movie because with out him the whole thing could have easily spun out of control.

2) Why do people follow Indiana Jones?
We enjoy the character of Indiana Jones because he just seems so real even though he is involved in un-real situations. He's smart, but not a genius. He's an "every-man," yet bigger than life. He's not perfect. He has is faults. He's a mercenary. Yet he still wins. People like this aspect of the character because they're not perfect either. But they don't have to be in order to be heroes and do the right thing.

3) Are there different levels of fan-dom? (I know for
The Simpsons there is.) If so, what are they?
I think that it really goes with out saying that there are different levels of fan-dom in the Indiana Jones pantheon. Some fans enjoy anything and everything that has to do with Indy. They read the books, they scrutinize every detail of an article of clothing or gear, they watch movies at least once a week, they use high-tech equipment to analyze screen shots, etc. They are the true definition of a fanatic. While others simple watch the films once a decade and still consider themselves fans of Indiana Jones. There is no right or wrong but there is everyone in between.
You brought up The Simpsons. I would consider myself a fan. But I don't read the comics, collect any toys or dress as Bart for Halloween. I simply enjoy the show when I happen to catch it on. Am I a fanatic? No. Am I a fan? Yes.

4) What makes you part of the fan club? (you know,
more than just an admirer of the films)

5) Why do these movies steeped in the past still have
such a following?
People steeped in they're daily routine and modern settings long for adventure. They long for simpler times when a person's wits were they're greatest ally in a battle on not their cell phone. Setting the Indiana Jones films in the 1930's was a stroke of genius on the part of the film makers. Everything is fresh and unexplored. People took pride in wearing dresses and suits and hats as daily wear. America was a few years away from a bloody war and still retained some innocence. And there was a sense of adventure. True adventure! Governments couldn't track your every move with credit card purchases. There weren't satellites several miles over head watching reading your license plate. You couldn't use a GPS or phone to get out of the jungle. An enemy like the Nazis could be "dispatched" with out fear of offending the politically correct. Security cameras aren't littered through out a castle on the Austrian/German border. CNN hadn't discovered an ancient Thuggee cult first.
This sense of adventure with straight forward goals is what draws people to the world of Indiana Jones. A world where Indy can use a bull whip to fight off Arabs who wield swords instead of AK-47s. Everyone wants to be a part of this world and go on a globe trotting adventure. Everyone wants to shoot the swordsman and not get caught up in an international incident. Everyone wants to kill the bad guys and save the girl. It's all fun...with out the consequences.

6) What is your favorite Indiana Jones and why?
'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is my favorite Indy flick. I like it because I saw it when it was new and after growing up with it, it's still seems new. There is a rough edge to 'Raiders' that the other two movies seem to lack. I feel that the editing, pacing and excitement in 'Raiders' has never been matched by any action movie since. Including it's siblings. Spielberg was still an experimental director. John Williams was in the middle of his most inspiring decade. Harrison Ford was still a 'hungry' actor. The action set pieces are perfect. The sound design is top notch. (An action movie today would feel the need to show a guy getting chopped into bait by air plane prop. But all 'Raiders' needed was that great sound effect.)

7) Do you collect stuff (like the action figures, whip
and the jacket)? Why?
I am an avid whip cracker. Ever since I saw 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' I have had a fascination with the bull whip. I think that it is because it is real. It actually can do just about everything you see on screen. I'm also a Star Wars fan, but I've never had a desire to learn sword play. Maybe because light sabers aren't real.) When just a little bit of energy careens through a whip and explodes at the speed of sound at the tip it is an amazing thing. A very addictive thing.
Only recently have I begun buying other "Indy Gear" such as the jacket and fedora. I've always liked the styles of the 1930's and '40's. Combining that fascination with the specifics of Indy's outfit is a gratifying feeling indeed. I also enjoy it because I know it's not a fad. I have never been one for trends; buying clothes or items that I hope other people will approve of. I've been enjoying the Indiana Jones films for twenty years now. I think Indy is here to stay.

-Kyle Shold

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com