Jacket Wars: A New Hope

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from adsl-63-201-103-106.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (63.201.103.106) on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 7:23pm :

I guess I’m never satisfied… In my search for the best way to get my feet wet in the world of historically accurate A2’s, I have stumbled upon a real gem of a jacket maker, who makes just beautiful reproductions. They also really know how to make that 1930’s style cut and fit, and have the most amazing customer service. They sent me a $500 jacket JUST TO GET THE SIZE RIGHT! Then they email me pics of the original pattern, and their proposed alterations. They do beautiful work. Then I received the leather samples…

Below is a sample of what they call “jerky” horsehide. Jerky refers to the prominent grain. It is 3 oz horsehide, veg tanned, and spray dyed – authentic to the wartime jackets. Given MK has evangelized me into his methods of applying toxic cocktails to leather, I gave her a go. The results were spectacular!

Cutting to the chase – I’ve offered my notes, my jackets, and my services to these folks, and they appear to be very interested in making us a jacket. They are Aero Leather Company and are located in Scotland. Before anybody freaks out about customs – when they sent me the sample jacket it arrived to me in LA in the biggest damned box I’ve ever seen with a jacket in it and THERE WAS NO CUSTOMS DUE! They told me customers in the US hardly ever get hit with it. Oh, and get this – you can get pre-war spec silk lining in their jackets. It is not like anything from Victoria’s Secret – just tough and smooth.

Check out their site. Check out the pic of the seal brown jerky horsehide below that I aged. Email them and let them know if you’re interested.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com