I've got the script right here!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aragorn from val071.inetnebr.com on December 10, 1998 at 21:09:00:

In Reply to: Re: So whatever happened to Shortround addition...and 2nd witness posted by harry on December 09, 1998 at 21:45:22:

: : : : When Indy was in China, he met a kid named Shortround, or at least thats what he called him. Shorty's parents were killed by the Japs, and Indy caught Shorty picking his pocket. So what happened to Shorty after Indy gets back to the states? Is there any official info on this? I would also like to hear fan speculation on the subject...

: : : I would like to tag a question on the backend of this posting, if I may. USA channel showed Temple of Doom twice a couple of weekends ago, and to my families chagrin, I watched it both times. (purely academic study, I assure you). Shortround made a statement that I had never noticed before, and on watching it a second time, said what I believe may have been his "real" name. It is made during the scene in the village where the shaman is talking to Indy where Shorty tells him that if he listened to him he'd live longer. Now that's what I ASSUMED him to say all these years. He says, and I'm writing this phoenically now, "You listen Son yut mun, you live longer." OK, what the heck DOES he say there? Am I hearing another phrase slurred together, or am I hearing a name? Regards. Michaelson

: : I am so glad someone else noticed this...I, for one, have never been able to understand what he says here. In fact, your break-down is as good as I could give. I never really thought of it as him giving his name, but it makes good sense. If we could find someone with the script, maybe they could shed light on the subject.

: : Later,

: : --nitzsche

: it makes sense that he is saying his name because later on in
: the movie shorty says: " i keep telling you. you listen me
: you live longer" he says this when indy and him get locked in the cage
: sooo...if he keeps telling him then he must have said it earlier on
: in the movie

Okay, here are the actual words from INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM: THE ILLUSTRATED SCREENPLAY, page 30.

SHORT ROUND: (to Indiana) Bad news. You listen to Short Round. You live longer.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]