Not Bad

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by junior from ct78042-a.lusvil1.ky.home.com (24.183.148.72) on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 3:47pm :

In Reply to: The Raiders hat. posted by Rundquist from ? (63.201.187.189) on Monday, November 12, 2001 at 2:02pm :

: I was pulling stills from an old Raiders tape last week specifically for shots of the the jacket and I came upon something that made me laugh. In the flying wing sequence when the German mechanic first punches Indy and he falls to the ground, you can actually see the brim of his hat flop down in front of his face for a split second (If anyone wants these pics, I will gladly email them to you, or maybe someone can post them for me). Anyway it got me to thinking and I came to the conclusion that the Raiders fedora didn't start out as a fedora, like the Temple and LC hats did. When I was a kid my dad had this Australian "safari" type hat that was made out of extremely thin felt. I even used it as my Indy hat at the time. In hindsight, if the dimensions of the crown were right (don't know if they were or weren't), it would have made a perfect Raiders hat from at least a felt stock perspective. I believe that the original Raiders fedora was cut down into a fedora from a felt stock that was never intended to be used as a fedora. I believe that the Raiders "pinch" that we all regard as unique and stylish (I still do) was used because it was the only pinch that suited the thin felt stock. I think that the Raiders pinch was used not because it was different, but because it was the only thing they could do to that hat to make it look fedora-esque. This might be why nobody has been able to get the Raiders look perfectly (with all do respect, there are a lot of great looking hats out there). We're digging in the wrong place (grin). I might feel differently tomorrow. Just my thoughts at the moment. Cheers

er

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com