Re: ATTN: Alden Boots Owners

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by nitzsche from 1Cust234.tnt17.sfo3.da.uu.net on December 12, 1998 at 14:35:29:

In Reply to: Re: ATTN: Alden Boots Owners posted by belloq on December 12, 1998 at 13:39:46:

:
: : I am wondering if I could get a hefty description of these boots, in particular the sole. Is there a deep tread in them, or are they simply smooth?

: : The reason I ask is I am actually an archaeologist who does A LOT of survey, and I hate to say it, but my boots are about dead! I have been in the market for new boots, but am not satisfied paying close to $200.00 bucks for Timberlands or other cheaply made boots.

: : The Alden boots are around this price, but I need some advise on the durability and comfort of the boots. I have looked at the Indy Diggs description, but would like to hear from those who own them.

: : Is the sole treaded and of durable material?
: : Can they be water-proofed?
: : Are they comfortable?
: : Do they have a nice in-sole?

: : Thanks

: :In regard to "Alden orthopedic boot model 405": I had to order a whole size smaller than I usually do for leather shoes. Also, do not expect the color to appear as in the films. The actual color is a lighter color, reddish brown, rather than the worn dark brown in the films. This may change over time with wear, cleaning, treating and polishing. The sole is not lugged or treaded. I cannot comment on the durability because I have not worn mine in rough conditions. The sole is not rubber but some cork like material. I woul imagine these may need resoling if you plan to use them in the field, on rocky terrain and such. The leather is of good quality and may be "waterproofed" but no leather will be truly waterproofed or you would lose the breathability and supple quality. They are comfortable because they are actually an "orthopedic" shoe, so I believe they are meant to correct foot or walking problems. They have a large sturdy heel cup which stabilizes the heel and therefore the foot and leg. They are comfortable as any leather shoe once treated, broken in, and worn with thick socks. The insole (inner lining and footbed) is leather and seems to be constructed well. Having said all that, there are many other boot manufacturers with models which may be more suited to use in the field. The Alden's are more of an old-fashioned gentlemen's high top work shoe. They are made by a traditional company which does not use things like carbon rubber and gore-tex. If you need high quality waterproof leather boots suitable for walking at rugged outdoor sites, my favorite are the Vasque Sundowners. They are excellent leather plain hiking boots, not too high or restricting, are very comfortable right out of the box, have full waterproof goretex booties, lugged hard rubber soles and are priced at US$170. I think these are good candidates for a modern day Indy, both in performance and appearance. However, there are many other kinds of boots with similar features sold by LL Bean, REI and Campmor mailorder/online catalogs. And I'm sure there are other oline resources as well. Good Luck. belloq

Thank you very much for your thoughtful description and suggestions. I am currently looking into the other shoe styles you mentioned.

--nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]