A fine theory Dan!!

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DrJones from spider-ntc-td074.proxy.aol.com (198.81.17.184) on Saturday, December 22, 2001 at 4:41am :

In Reply to: the hat debate, my theory posted by Indiana Dan from proxy.integrity.com (63.251.172.74) on Friday, December 21, 2001 at 3:27pm :

: Someone, whome I will not mention has banished me from the indygear forum, so I will post this here. I was recently reading a post that a friend sent me about the debate of the fedora, and the crowns and such. This is my theory, and after talking to Mr. Swales at HJ, I believe I am correct.

: In the making of Raiders of the Lost Ark, I believe Spielberg, or the narrator, mentions that it would be much easier if the hero kept his hat on. Now all of the hats that I own that fit me comfortably, will fall off in a heavy wind, and there is no way that riding a horse, or other activities that Ford did in the three films, would nnot let the hat fly off. Also in Last Crusade, when Indy is punching Vogel, and he looks up to see the cliff coming, his hat falls off. reveling a very marked indentation on his forhead, now a comfortable fedora wouldn't make that mark, only a fedora that doesn't fit. Here is my theory

: According to what Mr. Richard Swales told me at Herbert Johnson, during the making of Raiders, HJ made regular, round, and long oval hats. If you watch Air Force one (1996) you can clearly see the shape of Harrison Ford's head, he has one of the longest heads I have ever seen, meaning he is a long oval. Harrison Ford wears a 7 1/4 long oval. And I am sure Mr. Swales at HJ was aware of this, however, they needed the hat to stay on, so they had Mr. Swales make 7 1/4 size fedora, in regular oval, so it would be just the perfect tightness, and match up to his face, now. here is another belief of mine. People claim that the blocks used for the Raiders, TOD,and LC hats are no more, because the brand new HJ hats are tapered, and the demensions are NOT correct, please do an experiement for me. Take your fedora. and place your left thumb on the inside in the back, then take your right thumb and place it inside in the front, move your fingers away from eachother, your right thumb should be going towards you (I RECOMMENED YOU USE A VERY TAPERED HAT FOR THIS EXAMPLE) watch what happens to the crown, and to the back of the brim, the crown untaperes, and the back of the brim slopes down and curls, JUST LIKE THE RAIDERS FEDORA. My belief is the HJ hats are accurate only if you buy one size to small, and suffer until it molds to your head, that is probably why Harrison is always playing with it, shaping it, because it didn't fit comfortably. And that is how his hat looks so perfect on him is it is to small, and shapes and molds to his head. My Kindest. Indiana Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com