Re: IN DEFENSE OF THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Dassel from ts2-p11.min.prysm.net on December 16, 1998 at 07:54:43:

In Reply to: IN DEFENSE OF THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES. posted by HANNIBAL KING. on December 16, 1998 at 05:29:57:

: Hey,
: how are you all doing?

: Remember a time back in the early eighties? You know that time when you had just gotten over the shock of realising that Star Wars was a great film . . . but not the greatest. A time when you wished that there was as much Indiana Jones stuff in the shops as there was Star Wars stuff. Over here in the UK there was a dearth of stuff . . . I wasn't even aware that any Indy action figures had been released until I visited Florida in 1993 and saw a Toht in a comic shop.

: Then, Marvel Comics came to the rescue with a Comic book based on the continuing adventures of Indiana Jones. Unfortunately . . . this feeling of elation had vanished by issue three. However, I still maintain that if you looked through the manure you would occasionally find a little gem!

: There were a number of interesting stories. The Ikons of Ikkammanen, the Gateway to Infinity, the one about the lost African colony of Atlantis, the Fourth Nail, the sequel to the Golden was good in parts. I fully admit that some of the stories were of the worse possible standard and cannot be defended. That pile of horseshit about the Japanese dragon, most of issues 20 - 34.

: However, at least they were brave enought to include some non villains. Ben Ali Ayoob was a great creation . . . a villain who is wealthy enough to find artefacts for himself, without having to work for the 's. Again the writing wasn't great but when I was fourteen and starved of Indy it was a damned sight better than nothing.

: Like all of Marvels movie tie ins, the quality ranged from abysmal to quite good. Kerry Gammils artwork was great and even though the likenesses of the characters faces wasn't bang on it retained an adventurous feel. However, some artwork and colouring was awful.

: What I'm saying is that these comics were like any ongoing comic books, and I still have my full collection. Is anyone else convinced enough to defend them, or parts of them. Or does everyone them all with a vengeance? Come on, back me up or shoot me down, I'm genuinely interested.

: Seeya

: Hannibal.

I agree 100%. I, too own the complete 1-34 issue series of
The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones, plus all three movie
adaptions. (Not to brag, but all of my collection is in pristine
condition) There were, as you said, some really good stories, as
well as some y awful ones. My personal favorite was the two-
parter about the Stonehenge cylinder, in which Indy is teamed up
with that beautiful Brit, Karen Mays, and the two are caught up
in all sorts of fantastic adventures in and around London. I
totally LOVE that one- and if ANYONE says otherwise, it's twenty
lashes with the bullwhip followed by salted wounds!!! :)
I also enjoyed The Fourth Nail and The City of Yesterdays Forever.
Too bad the whole series didn't retain the -on cinematic
likeness of the first two issues. Those were truly works of art.
Out of the whole series, the Best Cover Art award must go to the
lavishly illustrated cover of issue #24. That is the most realistic
portrayal of Indiana Jones on paper (with the exception of a photo
still from one of the films) For the most part, I would have to
give the series a "two thumbs up". I was certainly eager to learn
of Indy and Marion's exploits after Raiders.

-Dale Dassel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]