Adventure Movie Heaven

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RONDC20 from adsl-21-201-190.mia.bellsouth.net (66.21.201.190) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 at 4:14pm :

It is a Good time to be an Adventure Movie Fan.The Mummy Movies are proof of that. There are quite a few projects out there that we Indy Fans should be excited about. I recently found out about a number of movies that are in production that we Adventure Movie Fans should love . Like this one.

"Mummy director Stephen Sommers will revisit the legend of Jason and the Argonauts in a WWII-era adventure.

Mummy helmer Stephen Sommers is getting ready to set sail with The Argonauts. It's not a remake of the Ray Harryhausen-effects classic Jason and the Argonauts, but it is part homage, part sequel to the 1963 film. According to today's Variety, Sommers' film is set on the eve of World War II, when a group of treasure hunters think they've discovered the location of the fabled sunken ship of the Jason and the Argonauts legend, a vessel whose contents are believed to include the mythical golden fleece. The adventurers then find themselves transported back in the land of Greek mythology, battling all types of mythical beasties like the Cyclops and a minotaur.

1963's Jason and the Argonauts tells the mythological story of Jason's quest for the Golden Fleece. Ray Harryhausen's special effects on the film are legendary, especially the sword fighting sequence between three actors and seven skeletons. Don't be surprised if there are more than a few nods to this Don Chaffey-directed version in Sommers' new film.

Argonauts is reportedly based at DreamWorks, but negotiations are currently underway with Universal, where Sommers recently signed a multi-year production deal.

This film could be the project Sommers eluded to in a Variety interview last November. At that time he said his next project would be, "an interesting but complicated project that's not exactly out of the library, but I'd rather see if I can write it first."

Expect the tone of the new Argonauts adventure to be a lot like The Mummy. Sommers says, "We're up for making fun movies. We're not dark and edgy guys. We like action, adventure, comedy, romance. We love mixing genres – laughing, being scared and going on a roller-coaster ride all at the same time."

There is also this movie.

"French director Christopher Gans, director of Brotherhood of the Wolf, will helm the English-language epic The Adventurer.
Universal recently picked up Brotherhood, and will bring it to America. It seems that they've picked up more than just the one film from the French director. Gans is developing a new English-language film for Uni's sister company, StudioCanal.
The film, dubbed The Adventurer, is described as The Mummy meets Indiana Jones and is based on the Henri Vernes' bestselling series, The Adventures of Bob Morane.

The project will be budgeted at $30 million, and will shoot in London, Paris and Myanmar sometime next year.

Gans is adapting the screenplay himself, along with co-writer Stephane Cabel, who also co-wrote Brotherhood. The two will reportedly have the first draft of the script ready by the end of the summer.

I haven't seen Brotherhood yet, but I'm looking forward to catching it. If the look of the film, and the word-of-mouth means anything then this film will rock out! I hope the same will prove true about The Adventurer.

Gans calls the film "very phantasmagoric" and says it'll have "lots of action." He gives a bit of background away saying, "It takes place against the backdrop of a real episode in history – the end of Britain's colonization of Burma (now Myanmar) – which adds another layer of meaning."

Richard Grandpierre, head of StudioCanal film unit Eskwad, told Daily Variety that the film will be "a truly international adventure pic."

An then there is Genhis and of course Indy 4. So you see it is a great time to be an Adventure Movie Fan.

Ronald C

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com