I shouldn't try answering that, but I just can't help myself.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from sdn-ar-004casfrMP223.dialsprint.net (158.252.211.225) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 4:18pm :

In Reply to: whay does every one want an indy 4 so much? posted by German Mechanic from hc6524631.dhcp.vt.edu (198.82.70.49) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 1:26pm :

Why do people like sequels? Or do they?

Two observations:

- People love watching sequels to movies they have enjoyed in the first place.
- The majority of people will go and see the sequel even if they don't expect it to be remotely as good as the original.

This all means that people always compare the sequel to the original, and because of that they have expectations that are usually not fulfilled because:
1. The sequel is just an unoriginal re-hash
2. The sequel is not what they expected, it's too different
3. The sequel really stinks
4. The familiarity with the characters and the same general idea is boring the second (or third) time around

So, why do people still demand sequels? Why do they go and complain about them later?

People want to see something familiar. It makes them feel good and secure. They like to see a familiar face doing stuff they think they themselves would enjoy doing.

So there are exceptions, right?

Of course! Alien was a great horror movie, but Aliens was an excellent Sci-Fi /action film.
The Empire Strikes Back was quite different from SW, and yet it remains until today the best entry into the SW saga.
ToD was different from Raiders, and I think that's great. It's certainly better than LC which was little more than a remake of Raiders.

In conclusion: originality is underrated.

FG

PS: As for your rant, a fourth Indy movie doesn't mess with the holy trilogy. What are you so afraid of? Maybe Indy IV will suck, but how does that diminish the trilogy?
You mention James Bond. And how many good Bond movies are there? Well, Goldfinger is okay. Live and Let Die has its moments. So does For Your Eyes Only. But all in all they pretty much stink if you're over 15 (personal experience).
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com