Preach on!

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 3:45pm :

In Reply to: Scared... posted by KyleS from ? (209.191.163.10) on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 2:28pm :

I couldn't have said it better...and I tried! (grins) Well stated. Regards. Michaelson

I grew up with STAR WARS. It was the first movie I ever saw. The entire Saga is held close to my heart and I love it. I love the Special Editions. The changes made (agree or not) were done for artistic and story related reasons. I think that when Episode III is released and we are able to watch all six STAR WARS films in order the changes made to the SE's will look even better.

: I have not seen the new changes to E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. But I do not welcome them. If all they did was lip sync E.T. and add some scenes and clean up the print I would be interested. Not excited, Just interested. I generally don't prefer changes to movie special effects. I like the appeal of how things were done at the time. It creates a visual record of how techniques and technology have changed over the years. (Obviously I hold STAR WARS on a different plane than other films.) But I would still go see an E.T. Special Edition.

: What makes me instantly pissed off is POLITICAL CORRECTNESS! I HATE IT! Political Correctness has halted the creative and social development of this Country for decades. It's a scourge mutated from left wing political agendas. Now it's the mantra for minorities and bleeding heart litigious cowards. Removing firearms and certain phrases and language from films or literature because it might offend a micro-group of whiners is ludicrous! God forbid there be any mention of the word 'terrorist' or G-Men are actually carrying guns. We may have to answer questions that our children ask. And of course that isn't the job of parents to answer questions it is the job of the under paid teachers. But the underpaid teachers can't talk about guns or violence or religion. So let's get rid of anything that makes for uncomfortable questions or thoughts.

: E.T. is a fantasic film. I've had it widescreen on VHS for years. I'm sure that this new print looks great. I'm sure that the story elements are intact. But the minor P.C. related changes made are abominations to the very thinking that made this Country. I will not be seeing this new Special Edition.

: Now on to why I'm scared. 'INDIANA JONES AND THE LOST ARK: SPECIAL EDITION.' Next to the STAR WARS Saga 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is my absolute favorite adventure film. Even with all it's "mistakes" (bah!) it's still a perfect film. Even the title is perfect! It's not about Indiana Jones, per say. It's about...raiders of the lost ark of the covenant and Dr. Jones happens to be one of them! Just with different intentions.

: And what about the special effects?! The entire end of the movie is awesome! Leave it alone. And don't make the boulder in the beginning bigger or add more air darts or digitally create an army of Hovitos chasing Indy. Don't add digital trucks or matte paintings. Don't digitally instert a million more snakes into the Well of the Souls. Don't remove any guns or moments of violence. I'm even scared of a pristine newly re-mastered print. The rugged and gritty look of 'Raiders' is one of the many elements that make it look so awesome! I love the fact that there is no bluescreen work during the truck chase. I love the fact that Indy and the Mechanic are actually fighting around a real moving propeller. I love how Indy guns down the Arab swordsman because he doesn't have time. Hell, I love the fact that they use the word 'Arab' when refering to the citizens of Cairo! Don't add deleted scenes back into the film. The editing and pacing of 'Raiders' is perfection the way it is!

: While these technical changes worry me, the very real possibility of wretched Political Correctness worming it's way into 'Raiders' makes my stomach sour and my blood boil.

: Sorry for the long post. But a sore spot was jabbed.

: -Kyle

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com