EEEK! I'm a giant bug!

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Forrestal from r200-40-84-174.adsl.anteldata.net.uy (200.40.84.174) on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 7:33pm :

In Reply to: Looks like the term "pc" has really touched a nerve. posted by Inby from sdn-ar-002waseatP187.dialsprint.net (168.191.230.227) on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 6:33pm :

All we need is a different spin on this:

I see the "Shooting-the-brown-skinned-Arab scene" as a Verfremdungseffekt (have I lost everybody but you and graml now?), used by Steven Spielberg to destroy the viewer's impression that what happens on the screen is real life. Instead it underscores the fact that this is fiction, and this destruction of illusion creates a critical distance between the viewer and the fictional event.
The same goes for things that are usually seen as "goofs": The snake's reflection in the glass, Indy's hat brim squeezed against the glass, Marion's hair stuck in her face, lighting equipment reflecting in the flying wing's cockpit, etc. All these "errors" just go to show that we are looking not at reality! Get the hint, people: Spielberg wanted you to notice these things!
So you say the alienatien effect was unintended and was an accidental and common by-product of movie making? Maybe so, but what does it matter? It still goes to show you that it's all fiction (and I have come to believe that quite a few people forget that when watching movies).

-Forrestal, feeling rotten

PS: Now on to getting a fictional jacket that has different attributes in almost every single shot.
PPS: Or maybe I'll read some pinko Brecht.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com