Not another rant

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hacim from ? (12.144.46.194) on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 at 4:15pm :

I have decided to retire permanently from the Indyfan message board. I'm obviously in the wrong forum.

Just look at my post below. Do you see anything wrong with it? Doesn't it look familiar? Do you see something wrong with those replies I got? Do you see anything odd about the name Hacim? Probably not.

All the time, there were posts complaining about off-topic posts (among a myriad of fashion posts, mind you), followed by a few regarding the hi/bye syndrome. Typically, I made tongue in cheek replies (also typically, the irony went right over more than a few people's heads). Then the forum died. Dead. Sad. People just don't have anything interesting to say anymore. And nobody cares.

Then I started to think: With all those gear posts, had Indyfan become more of a chat board than an interesting site? Bertrand Russell once said, "To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level."

Only a few people have the level to show appreciation for witty posts (that are usually labeled as "immature" or "infantile") or the effort.

Alas, we finally get some possible news on an Indiana Jones Special Edition, what a joyous event it will be to see Raiders on the big screen again. That fat mongrel, Lucas never gives us "IndyFans" anything, right? So, how do most of you receive this announcement? You hate it! You’d rather continue your rants on what color Indy’s bag was in so-and-so scene of ToD.
Indiana Jones in every theater of America again? Nah, they might ruin MY vision of the movie. So I’ll continue discussing the animal hides that oh, what’s his name, used for his great jacket.

And what about our fearless leader Micah not adding one interesting comment on Indy, but babbling about off-topic nonsense like Afghan Buddhas and Lawrence of Arabia?

Perhaps if I we post one of the following, each taking approximately two brain cells, this board might be better:

- Hi
- What's your favorite moment?
- Indy vs Nazi
- Did you notice (enter here something that has been asked six times already during the week . "How's the old cow compare to the lamb?")?
- What was your favorite moment?
-Cheery regards, Hugs&Kisses
- How many times have you watched it ("I saw the belt buckle 412 times in slo-mo!")?
- Cut scenes / DVD(Enter here something that has been asked six times already during the week)?
- What's your favorite moment again?

Seriously, you need some sort of FAQ sheet to get rid of these.

Then theres the Blind Date questions:

- If you could travel like Indy, where would you like to go?
- If you could meet one character.
- If you could be one character ("Would the old cow or the goat be better than the lamb?").
- If the characters were cars, what would they be?

Well that does it for me. I can find another forum that has wit and humor. I won't be posting here anymore in this cross between a fashion show, chatroom, a cheap dating show and a kindergarden playground.

There are many cyber-friends I value and will miss, I've had some good bounces with them. However, as a rule finding intelligent and especially original people on this particular forum is like trying to find a freezer in Antarctica. Is it just me, or is there is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence on this board?

Perhaps you wont miss the humorous posts, the baiting, the quips. Perhaps you will. I'll never find out because I'm not visiting this site anymore.

Goodbye fellow Indy fans.

-Hacim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com