Re: I wonder what 1930's Fedora was referring to?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 27-216.colcpe.cableone.net (24.116.27.216) on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 at 8:21pm :

In Reply to: I wonder what 1930's Fedora was referring to? posted by Brett Maverick Lambert from aig65386y28se.ab.hsia.telus.net (142.59.94.174) on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 at 5:19pm :

: I've never heard of the 30's being considered a great time to live in. Most average people lost their jobs and homes at this time. You couldn't drink any Green Iguana's without having Eliot Ness on your ass. Not to mention the complacency brought on by isolationism which allowed the Nazi threat to spread thoughout Europe and leaving only the French (Bwahaha! THOSE guys? :P) and wimpy-ass Chamberlain to deal with them, and boy did THEY ever do a bang-up job. ;)

: Thank God good ol' FDR saved America from all that! Though I'm sure it'd be great to kick some Nazi ass, though you'd have to wait until the 1940's if you're an American.

: : It would be great to go back to the 30s. Never mind nuisances like the lack of deoderant, segregation, prohibition and the Great Depression. And WWII would be my kind of catalyst. All those hours at the shooting range and hunting ducks on all those wekends MUST pay off somehow! Kickin' Nazi butt would be great fun, fellas. Maybe we could even loot and plunder (rape?) and call it archaeology. WOO-HEE!
: : I'm kidding fellas. I know you all like to sit in your lazyboys with the zapper in one hand and a beer in the other while planning the next trip to WallyWorld or Walmart.

: : -Forrestal

You are correct of course regarding the state of the economy and the lack of legal liquor, although folks never stopped drinking during this period. My main point refers to the type of people that lived in those days, and of course the freedoms that people enjoyed in this country. People actually helped one another in those days, as many people were in the same poor boat. Somtimes adversity of this sort seems to be a hell of a character builder. You may not have had much money in your pocket, but your word was as good as a legal contract. I think that "time" was less self-centered than it is now, on a personal level. And that is enough reason to yearn for that sort of climate. Yep, I would go in a heartbeat. Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com