Dammit, I actually have to agree with you!(nm)

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ? (24.116.205.230) on Friday, March 08, 2002 at 7:41pm :

In Reply to: I can see that... posted by Brett Maverick Lambert from edtntnt12-port-198.dial.telus.net (161.184.206.198) on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 at 10:11pm :

: : You are correct of course regarding the state of the economy and the lack of legal liquor, although folks never stopped drinking during this period. My main point refers to the type of people that lived in those days, and of course the freedoms that people enjoyed in this country. People actually helped one another in those days, as many people were in the same poor boat. Somtimes adversity of this sort seems to be a hell of a character builder. You may not have had much money in your pocket, but your word was as good as a legal contract. I think that "time" was less self-centered than it is now, on a personal level. And that is enough reason to yearn for that sort of climate. Yep, I would go in a heartbeat. Fedora

: Though I do feel you can find that here today. Just look at how great the people of NY handled the atrocities of 9/11. There was a great outpouring of kindness towards the firefighters, those who lost someone they loved in those towers, and well, their fellow neighbour, whether they lost their job, their wife/husband/brother/sister/father/mother, or their fellow neighbour who weren't affected by the tragedy in respect of losing something in terms of finance or a loved one. In addition, on that day all flights in America were diverted to Canada. There are stories of the kindness of people finding hotel rooms for these airline passengers or allowing them to stay at their places until flights were allowed to resume. And let's not forget those workers (many from across America and Canada) at Ground Zero who worked 24/7 (and still are) to see if they could find anybody still alive in all that rubble. Not to mention those many people throughout North America who donated blood to the Red Cross, and donated money to the relief funds.

: That spirit you're mentioning in the 30's can still be found today.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com