Yes and no - or an archaeologist's mood swings

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0154.cvx22-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net (209.179.198.154) on Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 1:48pm :

In Reply to: Sort of... posted by JuggleEwok from spider-mtc-tb011.proxy.aol.com (64.12.104.21) on Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 7:39am :

We just don't know hat happened between ToD and Raiders. Maybe Lao Che had Willie and Shorty killed, and Indy became once again ruthless. :p
FG
PS: You could be right about Aliens.

: I always thought it would make sense as a sequel but NOT as a prequel, as it was. You're right, it shows Indy going from a ruthless adventurer to a good-hearted, caring guy that gives the artifact back to the villagers and gets all happy and loving. Then in Raiders he's back to being a ruthless adventurer, who seems to be in it as much for himself as he is for stopping the Nazis. In fact, his motivation is never entirely clear in Raiders, but he does rather do some self-motivated things, focused only on getting the Ark for HIS precious museum. And then, in LC, he goes back to being less ruthless and more caring about the larger picture.

: P.S.: Aliens WAS a better sequel.

: : ToD (I'm sure you are aware of the fact it's actually a prequel, not a sequel) has more than just action: In the beginning, Indy is the ruthless adventurer who wants fortune and glory. He even takes Willie hostage and drags her into the whole mess. In the end, Indy has discovered that friendship is more important than a silly chase after some artifact (which he returns to its rightful owner).
: : As for LC explaining Indy's fear of snakes, his looks, his scar, gear etc, isn't it pretty infantile and far-fetched that all this happened within a few hours (Where the hell does the Jones family live anyway? In Moab?)?
: : About 'The Mummy', the first one (I'm talking about the '99 remake) was fun to watch, I thought, while the sequel was as bad as they come: over-blown, tedious and a waste of talent.
: : About Conan I can't say much, as I only remember Arnold knocking out a camel.
: : As for SW, Lucas has shown appreciation for character development and the importance of a good story. Too bad that the acting (or directing) is often not up to snuff. But I love Lucas's vision and concepts. I also enjoy when he muddles together all major world religions and recycles all sorts of myths.
: : That brings me back to ToD, which was closer to Lucas's vision of Indiana Jones than either Raiders or LC. I'm glad it's so different. Raiders was great, and ToD had to be different. But LC falls short of all expectations. I don't see anything new there, apart from the well-incorporated father/son relationship. Scene by scene it's almost a clone of Raiders.

: : FG

: : PS: Here's a sequel that's possibly better than the original: Aliens

:
: : : Ok my little thing on sequels.

: : : They tend to suck if they dont further the story or characters somehow. ROTLA introduced us. TLC showed us his fear of snakes, origin of his name, whip, dress code, and his relationship with his father, along with good ol' Indy action.

: : : TOD just had action.

: : : Look at the Mummy, the 2nd one showed more about the main guy whatevery his name was. It explained the mark on his arm etc.
: : : StarWars, every movie brought us something new to the world, and not just another adventure.

: : : That was what was wrong with Conan the Destroyer. The Barbarian showed us his origins, how he learned to fight, how he got strong, his sword etc. The destroyer was just a mindless adventure. Fun to watch, but not living up to the full glory.

: : : So in short. Sequels need to show us something new and develop the characters.
: : :
: : :

Follow Ups:

• TLC - Masterfulks 5:15pm 03/14/2002

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL: