Levitating by pulling on your own bootstraps is easier.(nm)

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ? (24.116.205.230) on Saturday, March 16, 2002 at 1:25am :

In Reply to: Re: Purpose of that "open mind".. posted by Fall Guy from pool0496.cvx21-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net (209.179.193.241) on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 11:28pm :

: : : : : I know he isn't a Euro-centric bigot. I also know he isn't narrow-minded sheep. Indy has lost of doubts and doesn't follow blindly some faith. I think Indy has more of a personal belief system. I expect it to encompass elements of different religions. After all, he does show respect to others and to what they believe in.
: : : : : FG

: : : :
: : : : So you are saying Catholics are what you prescribe above?

: : : Danno, I believe there are many, who (regardless of their religion) keep an open mind and are fine people. Many, but not all.
: : : FG

:
: : That term is so overused. "Keep an open mind". "They are open minded". Etc. To look with an open mind is to look without any preconceptions clouding your vision. And that is damn near impossible. Few really look with open minds, instead they look with what they regard as an open mind, still cluttered up with years of memories, opinions, thoughts. Many times the "open mind" argument is used to justify improper behavior. I think that Indy or any anthropologist looks at a culture with an understanding that variation is the rule. Cultures share common ground in that the religions, myths, laws, and rituals are universal in human culture. Regardless of your culture, you have certain ideas that are assumed to be the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. And it is almost universal, that each respective culture thinks that they are right, and correct. Even to the point of killing one another in defense of these ideas. If you see this as a fact, then how are you to approach another cultures belief systems that are deeply entrenched. You either see all belief systems as relative, no truth in them, as they can't all be right, or you see them as inferior to your own. Because you think that yours is right. And this I think is what happens to Indy in 2 of the films. Especially the last film. At the moment that he took that leap of faith, he effectively, dropped his prior vision of relativism. Of course, I could be wrong. Fedora

:
: At least I'm trying!
: FG
: :
: :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title: