Marcus Brody, the original Indiana Jones?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-mtc-th052.proxy.aol.com (64.12.102.42) on Saturday, March 16, 2002 at 7:24pm :

I've been entertaining that thought for a while now. It's never said directly but I feel that, at some point, Marcus was very much like Indy. Sure, there's the "Five years I would have gone after it myself" statement. But, apart from that, I keep thinking of how Indy being chosen to quest for the Ark was really Marcus's doing. After all, the Army guys really only came to see Indy (whom they really saw as no more than a graverobber) for a bit of advice as to the where abouts of the man they actually believed could help them, Abner Ravenwood. They seemed to take every word Indy said with a grain of salt. Though there are no scenes of the discussion that must have taken place between Marcus and the Army guys it becomes clear in the next scene that Marcus's smooth talking had turned their opinion 180 degrees. Maybe it's just me, but I always got that feeling from Marcus, that in his youth he was very much like Indy. Had they traveled together? Had they shared adventures? He speaks of Marion as if he actually knew her personally, knew her from more than just Indy's stories that he brought back with him. He and Indy had been friends for a very long time, of course. What history do you think was really there? Was he a once hard-as-nails adventurer or just the socialite to whom Indy brought back interesting tales? I feel the character was never properly explored or developed. When I first learned he would return for LC I guess I expected to see the character I've described. Perhaps that's why I dislike LC to the extent that I do, to the point that I discount it as even being a chapter in the Indy saga. I saw it only once, on opening day in '98 and have never been able to watch it again. Someone mention below that LC tried to hard to please too wide an audience. I think that's accurate. So what do you guys think? Was Marcus Brody just a two dimensional plot device created only to prompt exposition? Or was he to Indy what Obi-Wan was to Luke Skywalker? Food for thought....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com