Re: Marcus Brody, the original Indiana Jones?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam McDaniel from spider-mtc-ti073.proxy.aol.com (64.12.101.183) on Thursday, March 21, 2002 at 9:32pm :

In Reply to: Marcus Brody, the original Indiana Jones? posted by Shawnkara from spider-mtc-th052.proxy.aol.com (64.12.102.42) on Saturday, March 16, 2002 at 7:24pm :

EXCELLENT ideas, Shawnkara... You've addressed something that was always at the back of my mind, yet I never fully considered.

Elliott's Marcus in RAIDERS was so wonderful in his very brief scenes -- not only was he Indy's friend, but in many ways, looked like a mentor who knew him inside and out. Marcus watched Indy grow up, as he himself admits in CRUSADE.

I suspect Marcus was already well aquainted with the Jones boys long before Indy attended the University of Chicago, and therefore, one could reason that not only did he know of Abner Ravenwood, but knew him personally as well.

It is said that the Indy/Marion relationship took place 10 years prior to RAIDERS -- 1926 presumably, when according to sources Indy was 28 and Marion 15 (quite an age difference). At that age, Indy would likely have been near the completion of (or have already completed) his P.H.D. Abner entrusted Indy to look after Marion -- and we all know how well THAT went.

So: Indy and Abner have a serious falling out. Indy, as a result, leaves their lives. Who can Indy turn to now? Not his father -- their relationship as it is implied was already strained during Indy's teens, and surely such an embarrassing situation would have been too much for the younger Jones to bare in light of his father.

So here, I suspect Marcus helped Indy's path in life a little bit. As curator of the college museum, Brody probably make it possible for Indy to get a job... He functioned, in many ways, like an agent or manager, as well as a close friend. Indy could confide in Marcus without fearing repercussions or scolding.

Though in LAST CRUSADE, Marcus' involvement was a welcome one, and many of his scenes brought about the film's best laughs, the characters did regress to a degree of camp and comic baffoonery. It's fun to watch for the first time, but it is just not the same character as RAIDERS...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com