An assassin? Nah, I don't think so.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Operator Jake from 206-13-102-132.ded.pacbell.net (206.13.102.132) on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 10:27pm :

In Reply to: 2002 posted by Arkseeker from h00010246ff99.ne.client2.attbi.com (24.61.208.88) on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 7:57pm :

That's what special forces do.
If Indy were around today (as we knew him in his prime, of course), I feel that he'd still be one of those unsung heroes; commissioned by Uncle Sam to get out there, and if not find and keep artifacts out of the hands of madmen bent on doing bad stuff, at least preserve it from being destroyed in the wake of "Purification."
Then again, I believe that Indy could easily be talked into a humanitarian action in a place where no one else would dare touch; reaching out to help folks opressed--and not necessarily by the Thuggee, nor the Nazis.
But close enough for us to hate them. And in some cases, I'll take the Nazis when compared to some of these pr*cks.
I could imagine Indy doing his part distributing food and supplies to innocents in Somalia, while kicking the alpha double-sierra of any warlord looking to fill his own fat belly with the aid. Or perhaps Indy risking his neck in the most dangerous place in the world (Algeria) to give hope to the folks just trying to get by in the ongoing civil war; fought on both sides by some of the cruelest, most violent men to ever crawl the face of the Earth. Men hardened from the war with the Soviets in Afghanistan, trained in the Sudan, and funded by Iran and possibly equipped by the Sicilian mafia. Men who have killed teachers, children, nurses, docs, and pretty much anyone else foolish enough to get in their way--and even those who stay out of it.
As a result, the UN is pretending that right now, Algeria doesn't exist.
For men so heartless, I think the Pope would pardon me if I say that there is no such thing as "overkill" for some people.
Live the dream, Dr. Jones, and call me if you want some backup.
Sorry, Jake is being passionate again..........
I just can't see Indy sitting still for this sort of thing if he were around today. We all saw how upset he was in "Temple" when he learned of the hard times in the Maypore Village, and the resolve in his eye when he learned the children had been taken. In our hero's time, he had to actually see it to be moved. With CNN giving us images of every kind of evil out there, spewed out as fast as man can think it up, the boob tube might see to it that Indy would spend little time at home, and like as not, his gun would never go cold.
Anyway, that's where I'd see Indy these days.
Let's be careful out there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com