Re: IN DEFENSE OF FAOIJ and against young indy comics

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff Quest from cache-engine-01.chi.ais.net on December 24, 1998 at 07:34:40:

In Reply to: IN DEFENSE OF THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES. posted by HANNIBAL KING. on December 16, 1998 at 05:29:57:

: Hey,
: how are you all doing?

: Remember a time back in the early eighties? You know that time when you had just gotten over the shock of realising that Star Wars was a great film . . . but not the greatest. A time when you wished that there was as much Indiana Jones stuff in the shops as there was Star Wars stuff. Over here in the UK there was a dearth of stuff . . . I wasn't even aware that any Indy action figures had been released until I visited Florida in 1993 and saw a Toht in a comic shop.

: Then, Marvel Comics came to the rescue with a Comic book based on the continuing adventures of Indiana Jones. Unfortunately . . . this feeling of elation had vanished by issue three. However, I still maintain that if you looked through the manure you would occasionally find a little gem!

: There were a number of interesting stories. The Ikons of Ikkammanen, the Gateway to Infinity, the one about the lost African colony of Atlantis, the Fourth Nail, the sequel to the Golden goddess was good in parts. I fully admit that some of the stories were of the worse possible standard and cannot be defended. That pile of horseshit about the Japanese dragon, most of issues 20 - 34.

: However, at least they were brave enought to include some non Nazi villains. Ben Ali Ayoob was a great creation . . . a villain who is wealthy enough to find artefacts for himself, without having to work for the Nazi's. Again the writing wasn't great but when I was fourteen and starved of Indy it was a damned sight better than nothing.

: Like all of Marvels movie tie ins, the quality ranged from abysmal to quite good. Kerry Gammils artwork was great and even though the likenesses of the characters faces wasn't bang on it retained an adventurous feel. However, some artwork and colouring was awful.

: What I'm saying is that these comics were like any ongoing comic books, and I still have my full collection. Is anyone else convinced enough to defend them, or parts of them. Or does everyone hate them all with a vengeance? Come on, back me up or shoot me down, I'm genuinely interested.

: Seeya

: Hannibal.

I have my complete collection of the FAOIJ and I have to say that when I read them they were well worth the purchase price
(of course I did get them pretty cheap in the bargain bin.) But for me, with not a whole lot of indy in the horizon they
were great. Ok some of it was crap but there were a few good things and some of there covers were great in a comic book
way, not that movie poster stuff DH pulls. I will also admit a guilt pleasure for the one where Indy is a movie stuntman
jumping off a waterfall.(It was way out there as far as a indy adventure but I still loved it for some reason.
Personally I found the Young Indy comics far worse as far as quality and art.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]