Of course you can do that...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett Maverick Lambert from aig65386y28se.ab.hsia.telus.net (142.179.240.87) on Sunday, April 07, 2002 at 2:36pm :

In Reply to: You can attach ANYTHING to ANYTHING posted by Fedora from 26-208.colcpe.cableone.net (24.116.26.208) on Sunday, April 07, 2002 at 12:34pm :

: : Yes, you're right. Slavery wasn't the only issue on the plate during the Civil War. I'm not a huge expert on the conflict as of right now (love to watch those battles play out in "Gettysburg" and "Glory" though), but a lot of the fighting also had to do with economic and fiscal disputes, no?

: : But it always makes me queasy to here somebody express affection for the Confederate flag, since that flag is a racist flag, pro-slavery and KKK's and neo-Nazi's always rally around it. And that just plain disgusts me.

: : And I also still consider you a good guy, Jake. No offense was taken.

:
: ...and if it makes you ill to see a piece of history, you need emotional help. Really, if you would take the time to really research history, you might discover that there were a myriad of battle flags(and that is all the stars and bars was). That racists and neo-Nazis use it to promote hate is far from its original purpose. It is part of my history,as my ancestors fought in that war. But like many things that we rant about, most of the ranting comes from complete ignorance, and you are a great example of that. I really wish you would research a bit more before you make sweeping statements. And if you buy into what is supposed to be common knowledge, well, ignorance does have a propensity, for gathering in minds of the young. There is a huge world out there, it is a shame you know so little of it. Fedora

Funny, teachers have praised me for being quite well-read and here I'm being called the paragon of all that is ignorance. I'll take the word of my teachers over what some strange man says on the internet.

Anyways, as for the original purpose of the flag, tell me what it was meant to represent when it was first made. Whatever purpose it was originally meant to be, it certainly didn't last long. Afterall, wasn't the KKK created by Confederates shortly after the Civil War in order to protect "white rights" and that was their flag of choice?

In addition, I'm currently reading biographies of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Teddy's mom was a Southern belle, his father was of the North (New York, among the finest of the North!). Ironically enough, despite his parents' strong love for one another, Theodore, Sr. was very pro-Union and his mother Martha was very pro-Confederate. According to Teddy, she "never forgave Lincoln." When he became President, Roosevelt got the South hopping mad for inviting Booker T. Washington at the White House for dinner (the first time a President invited a black man to the White House). They were so angry that he was "betraying" his mother's Southern roots. They even said they would "lynch 1000 niggers" in response to this in order for the blacks to "know their place." He continued to inflame them when he appointed some black office-holders later on in the Administration. So is that the part of your history too?

I may know so little about the world, but who knows? Maybe I'll know all when I reach your age of 75 or however old you are. :P

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com