Guys with grizzled beards?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0522.cvx22-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net (209.179.200.12) on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 11:04pm :

In Reply to: Hmm, sounds interesting... posted by Brett Maverick Lambert from aig65386y28se.ab.hsia.telus.net (142.179.240.87) on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 6:04pm :

Although I'm all in favor of calling Thor Heyerdahl one of the most important explorers of the past century, I'm not sure about that Ranulph Fiennes fellow (He seems to be a career explorer who does it all to break records).
I remember some fairly recent controversy in which Fiennes accused Matthew Henson and Robert Peary of having falsely claimed to have reached the Noth Pole in 1909. Henson was not a white man, and it has been said that only because of racist attitudes the question of reliability of Henson's claim has come up.
Actually, two Canadians, Landry and Paul Crowley, proved that a high-speed journey to the North Pole (like the one Henson and Peary did) was indeed possible.
FG
PS: As for Lawrence, he sure did some exploring in the desert... ;)
PPS: How about Schliemann who claimed to have found Troy in the early 1870s? There is still no proof that what he found was really Troy!

: Would Lawrence of Arabia count as an explorer?

: Or are they dealing with "Lewis & Clark" types?

: : There is a 16 page article in Vanity Fair called To The Ends of The Earth, that has some spectacular photos of "The World's Greatest Explorers" like Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Thor Heyerdahl and Robert Ballard.
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com