Abner and Henry. Do I notice a pattern?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0382.cvx22-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net (209.179.199.127) on Thursday, April 25, 2002 at 1:35pm :

In Reply to: Re: I really doubt it; Fedora's just a thug. posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Thursday, April 25, 2002 at 12:23pm :

Indy's dad never told his son to eat up and wash his ears, and I bet those ears were rather dusty from all that spelunking. ;) He also seems to have been a negligent husband. However, he did care about his son's education (We can tell by the obligatory "Count to ten - in Greek" scene).
I suspect that Ravenwood was also somewhat lax in raising his daughter (whatever happend to Mrs. Ravenwood?). As Michaelson (and Marion herself) said, Abner dragged his daughter around the globe in the pursuit of things she didn't care about. I'm sure Abner didn't plan on dying and leaving his daughter nothing but that seedy bar, but he should have made sure that she could have escaped from that hole.
Maybe great (and busy) minds are so driven by their pursuits an so caught up in their work that they easily appear neglectful?
FG

: I go along with FG's theory, but to answer your question, yes, that theory has been batted around for some time, both here and at other forums. Seems a nice, easy answer or fit, but like FG says, it just doesn't hold water for me either. He may be a rogue (Ravenwood) in some respects (dragging Marion around the world, leaving her a bar in Nepal et.al), but I also think he was of the Victorian ideal regarding honor in the science (as it was understood at the time) Regards. Michaelson

:
: : Fedora from LC may have had some soldier-of-fortune charm to some, but he didn't come across as a "good guy", but as a hired hand instead. All he really did was stand around and utter one "deep" line, which seemed rooted in some 19th century cowboy ethics. From what I understand, Abner Ravenwood was an honorable fellow and not a wad-chewing demimonde.
: : FG

: : : I just read something on another board about the speculation that Fedora in Last Crusade was Abner Ravenwood, Marion's father.

: : : Does anyone know any more about this? Where did this idea come from; the novels, perhaps?

: : : I have always liked his character, and this puts him in a different perspective for me.
: : :
: : :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com