Abner Ravenwood, Sanzibar

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0382.cvx22-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net (209.179.199.127) on Thursday, April 25, 2002 at 2:01pm :

In Reply to: Can anyone give light to Abner Ravenwood U.S. posted by IndianaGJR from spider-wo052.proxy.aol.com (205.188.200.42) on Thursday, April 25, 2002 at 12:52pm :

I think Abner was a strong-willed dedicated man, enthusiastic about his work, relentless in the pursuit of his goals. Probably he was a raging alcoholic (I think he trained his daughter in drinking!). Naturally his family suffered, but he just wouldn't notice or care.

How much influence did Abner really exercise on Indy?

Young Indy already had a strong sense of what's right and what's not, and he was quite curious (a typical scientist's trait) and adventuresome. As Abner's student, Indy would have developed his own character traits further. Maybe he would have become a bit cynical? I'm sure Indy noticed that Abner wasn't a great father (referring to a thread below), and he must have recognized it as ironic that he himself chose a mentor who was probably not unlike Henry. It's been said that Abner was "like a father to Indy". I wonder in how far that's really true.

I think Indy may have looked up to Abner and seen things in him he couldn't see in his own dad. But then the neglected nymph Marion crossed Indy's path, and he tried to give her the love she deserved. Abner got upset (jealous?) and the falling oit between Indy, Abner (and Marion) occurred. OY! Now it's getting Freudian. I'm out of here!

FG

: Reading the other posts as to Fedora being Abner Ravenwood,
: What exactly do we know about Abner besides him being Marions father and Indy's mentor? He would have to have some characteristics that Indy must have adapted. Thanks,
: GJR
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL: