Re: Living Culture

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ~The Raider~ from ppp-ip226-s13.inetnorth.net on December 27, 1998 at 16:07:23:

In Reply to: Re: Living Culture posted by Swordmaster on December 27, 1998 at 03:50:08:

: : BTW, In Raiders Indy was STEALING the idol from those natives, and he got paid for the items he did bring back. So is Indy an idealist consumed with passion for history(HA HA) or just a money-grubbing adventurer seeking items to bring glory to his name?

: Indy was originally designed to be a New York playboy who would finance his unsparing lifestyle with the ancient artifacts he would sell to museums. I think the Indy character we see in films is a bit of both: a passionate archaeologist and a money-seeking adventurer.

Remember Raiders, when Indy was about to untie Marion and thought better of it. It may not mean much in the film, but that was the point in the novelization Indy began to realize the importance of finding the Ark, and how obsessed Abner was with it, and he began to feel that obsession. You may try and read this in his eyes, I don't know if it'll work. At any rate, I can assume that can be a humbling mental experience.

Either that, or Lucas and Spielberg just figured it was time to put some sentiment and reason to the quest for the holy grail. Remember, they've all aged throughout, and an age difference can be read in ANY artists work.

~The Raider

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]