Interesting that you mention it...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net (216.102.199.185) on Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 10:24am :

In Reply to: Re: No problem... posted by Micah [indyfan.com] on Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 9:05am :

: I always wondered how Indy could possibly work in a group RPG setting. Everyone would want to be Indy!

I've heard that the players had to play one of the established characters from the Indiana Jones movies in TSR's Indiana Jones RPG, although I've never played that version so I wouldn't know firsthand how that worked out. However, it's interesting to note that West End Games' version (which I have played) is called The World of Indiana Jones, and actually mentions that while you could play Indiana Jones or any of the other established characters, it strongly suggests that you don't, but that you instead work at creating your own pulp-era character (although the established characters could make cameo appearances if the referee so wishes). Templates for pulp-era characters are also available for the players, with anything from Archeologist to Reporter to Private Investigator to "Mystery Man" (kind of like The Shadow) to many others. A creative enough referee can create a story that could encompass varying different pulp characters together quite nicely... in the last WEG Indiana Jones game I played, our group had a Private Investigator (me), a University Professor and an Archeologist in a pulp story set in 1939 that had us travel from the streets of San Francisco all the way to the desert of Iraq - and we even got to rescue Indiana Jones and his father near the end. It was pretty fun!

And although the recent releases of GURPS Cliffhangers, Second Edition, Adventure!, and Forbidden Kingdoms don't specifically mention Indiana Jones except in their bibliography sections (due to copywright/trademark issues, I'm sure), it's definitely possible to create any of the Indiana Jones characters quite easily... although those books also cover the pulp-era in general and include pulp-era character templates as well.

And the bibliography in the back of the book is pretty exhaustive for all kinds of different pulp-related goodness!

I hope that helped!

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com