PS

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (63.201.187.189) on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 1:37pm :

In Reply to: Hold up, my brother.... posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (63.201.187.189) on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 1:24pm :

I know that since most people liked this movie better than episode 1, it has been perceived that Lucas is paying attention to fan critiques (and this may be true on a superficial level). But make no mistake, he is making the movies according to his own sense of what the series is. People have equated less Jar Jar with "George is listening to us". The fact of the matter is that Jar Jar just had nothing to do in this movie. George has said that he wouldn't take Darth Vader out just because nobody liked him, for example. To expand on this, Boba Fett is a much beloved character in the Star Wars universe. I don't see where he would fit into the next movie and I really don't think that George would put him in just because people liked him. Just my 2 cents. Cheers

: "our personal interpretations of it are much better than anything you could ever make up 20 years later. We just don't get paid for ours." How's Lucas supposed to compete with this. Today's fans' have unreasonably high expectations. I loved the new Star Wars movie. At this moment I like it even better than Empire Strikes Back. I'll see how it stands to repeated viewing. If I were going to gripe about the new movie, it would be about some of the CGI. Much of the CGI looked great though. People don't seem to understand that Lucas paid for this movie out of his own pocket. His job was very difficult (creating a fantasy world that never existed). If he were to have made this movie using some of the conventional FX methods used in the original Star Wars movie, it would have cost more than twice as much as its $120 million price tag. Beyond that, today's audience would never go for it. Beyond that, Lucas has always felt restricted in his ability to realize his vision on screen. Beyond that, I don't really see parallels between Indy and SW. Indy's world did exist (at some point). It can be recreated much easier than something out of SW. Beyond that, nothing that Lucas does will ever be good enough for us "fans" ever again. The bar has been raised too high (either by Lucas himself or our own preconceived perceptions) for Lucas to top himself. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I gotta defend Lucas here. Cheers

: xxxxxxxxx

: : After watching the new Star Wars film (which is pretty fun, btw), I thought I would offer Lucas some free advice, with regards to the next Indy film. (Since he now seems willing to heed fan advice following Episode I.)

: :
: : 1. Don't try to write any of Indy's romantic subplot, George.

: : 2. See #1.

: : 3. Use REAL sets. Put a bunch of actors in an empty room with blue and green screens, and see what kind of leaden performances they breathe into their dialogue. (Oh wait, you already did.)

: : 4. Closely related, let's keep the (inevitable) CGI all but imperceptible. (ie. no computer-generated whip aiding Indy in wire-work acrobatics!)

: : 5. No characters aimed at attracting children. A whole generation became fans of both Star Wars and Raiders while they were still in single-digits...and no, the Ewoks didn't have anything to do with it. Why have you never figured this out?

: : 6. If it feels like you stole it from a serial you watched in your youth = GOOD. If it feels like it might make a nice filler level for the XBox game = BAD.

: : 7. God, I'm worried about #1.

: : 8. Most importantly, don't try to rewrite anything in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Don't try to tell us any backstory that was hinted at in that film. Leave your myths alone, because our personal interpretations of it are much better than anything you could ever make up 20 years later. We just don't get paid for ours.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com