Re: Hold up, my brother....

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James from host-216-78-23-181.cae.bellsouth.net (216.78.23.181) on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 2:12pm :

In Reply to: Hold up, my brother.... posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (63.201.187.189) on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 1:24pm :

I pretty much agree with your posts (although Boba Fett WILL be in part III, and I suspect in a fairly substantial role, according to McCallum), but my post was more about trends I see in both Lucas and Spielberg's recent films that I wouldn't want to see in Indy IV.

Anyway, I think my biggest problem with the prequels (and don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed ATOC, for what it is), is that they feel too much like a conscious effort. This is what I mean by 'making up stuff 20 years later'.

For example, going back to Boba Fett- the character had less than five minutes screen time in the trilogy, yet became massively popular due in large part to his mystique (and the fans' personal interpretations of him).

I disagree that anything Lucas comes up with now is any more valid than what some kid imagined the origin to be 20 years ago. For one thing, Lucas did NOT have any kind of backstory planned for him long ago...as he himself admits he never anticipated the character's popularity. (And also evidenced by the jokey, throwaway ending in the Sarlac.)

So, to hear McCallum talk about how we'll finally get to see why Boba Fett is 'committed to the end of the Skywalker family' just doesn't make much sense.

All I'm saying is that I hope Lucas doesn't try to invent some new storyline for Abner, etc. that feels a little too much like revisionism, rather than elaboration.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com