Ahhhh.....but.....

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jimmie from evrtwa1-ar8-4-65-031-234.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net (4.65.31.234) on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 3:59pm :

In Reply to: PS II posted by James from host-216-78-23-181.cae.bellsouth.net (216.78.23.181) on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 2:35pm :

Not a mention of midichlorians - ANYWHERE - in AotC.

I agree that the Midichlorians thing was about the dumbest SW thing EVER...even more so than the Ewoks :)

However, both my Wife and I found AotC to be rather contrived, and, for the most part, outright boring. I've watched it three times so far (once in the theater, twice at home) and it's just not growing on me as The Phantom Menace did with the second viewing. There are so many things that are meant to be resonant, but really just fall flat.

If Lucas wants to send out Indy for a Special Edition (PLEASE GOD PLEASE!!), then, as you guys have said, I hope that he merely cleans the film stock (as with SW:SE), inserts a couple of deleted things (NO CG ADDED!!), and sets her loose.

Both the Indy trilogy and the SW trilogy started strong, because he wanted to craft fun, serial-like films that were serious in thier execution, yet comedy flowed naturally stemming from some moments that everyone could identify with. With the later films in each trilogy (With the grand exception that is THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK), he has tried so very hard to foist any and all humor upon us, at the expense of the overall feel of the films. Granted, some of the credit for this mistreatment should go to Speilberg....

We've seen this before in other films (The NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET series comes to mind), and became the hollywood trend for a bit....looks like it's winding down these days, but still our favorite films suffer SOME small amount of the "here's a joke - TAKE IT!!" attitude. A great example is the bit with

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threepio during the final act of AotC. There was NOT a single reason Artoo and Threepio should have been in that factory, save as a (VERY BAD) plot device.....uugh...I still wince to think of a couple of Threepios' lines.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!END SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, my two cents. I'm sure I'll watch the film a few more times. I'm still hoping that it'll grow a bit on me. I was SO dissapointed with Ep 1, and tried hard not to get too excited about this one. But I fear our beloved Indy may be in for the greatest adventure ever : trying to please all of US :)

Thanks for reading...all comments welcome!!

Jimmie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com