Re: Whip for a gift!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stephen from pm2-63.dial.qual.net on December 29, 1998 at 10:04:21:

In Reply to: Re: Whip for a gift! posted by D.Borton on December 29, 1998 at 00:27:46:

: : To my delight on Christmas morning, my girlfriend gave me a package
: : and when I opened it I found a Mark Allen whip! She said she got
: : it from a catalog called (I believe) "The Mind's Eye" and said it
: : was an "official" Indiana Jones whip. I know Mark Allen made the
: : whips, but was wondering about the specifics of the whip (I don't
: : know much about them). Specifically, does anyone have that catalog
: : with the description (my girlfriend threw the catalog away after
: : ordering)?

: : It looks to be about 10ft. from tip-to-tip (I don't know the specific
: : names of the whip parts). Unlike pictures I've seen posted, the
: : handle is black and seems to be made from a somewhat hard rubber
: : material.

: : Any info. about exactly what I have (especially from the catalog
: : description) would be greatly appreciated... of course I tried it...
: : in the house... didn't break a thing -- yet!

: : Regards,
: : Stephen

:
: Hi Stephen, Congratulations on your new whip. Just to clear things up though, David Morgan made the bullwhips for the Indiana Jones movies, not Mark Allen. Although Mark does offer a very good replica of the Morgan whip, which he imports from Australia. You can view both their respected web sites, which have photos and information on their products at
: http://www.davidmorgan.com/CATALOGS/DM/dm58|catalog?1234567890123456789112426474
: http://www.mark-allen.com/

: They also have print catalogs available.

: The whip that you’re describing sounds like a fairly common style of an American bullwhip, which can be found through many sources as well as in several levels of quality. Most are machine made, and are widely available in natural tan or chocolate brown. Usually they are made up of 6 strands of latigo leather, however some do come in 8 strands. They come in a variety of lengths most commonly ranging 6ft to 14ft, and have a black rubbery plastic swivel handle mounted on a steel butt foundation. At the end of the braid is a long flat wide leather fall. Usually these whips will have a solid rolled leather core in the center of the whip. Some of the lower end ones will have a rope and paper core though, where as some of the higher end versions will have a braided under belly, which is actually like a smaller whip underneath the overlay that aids in strength, balance and accuracy. Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with “the Minds eye” so I can’t directly comment on the whip they offer. As far as I know though, there is no “official” Indian Jones whip, except the real one made by David Morgan. Most of the whips I have seen or used in this style were not too bad as far as American whips go, although in all honesty they can not really compare to a well made kangaroo hide whip in both quality and price .

: I would recommend that you take some general safety precautions before you start practicing, Make sure you have a wide open area, but avoid concrete. Protective clothing like a leather jacket is a good idea, and eye protection is very important. Keep in mind that a bullwhip can do a considerable amount of damage to both people and property. I also recommend picking up one of the many whip-cracking videos on the market, so you get off to a good solid start. Also check out the bullwhip FAQ at
: http://www.juggling.org/help/circus-arts/bullwhip.html
: I hope this helps, if you have any other questions let me know.

: Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info and the suggestions regarding learning and use of
the whip (I can't believe I made the mistake regarding the David Morgan
whip). However, while it may not be the official whip, it looks cool
with the rest of my outfit and I have (in my mind at least) the best
girlfriend in the world!

Regards,
Stephen

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name: