I just re-checked the "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones" book...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett Maverick Lambert from edtntnt12-port-20.dial.telus.net (161.184.206.20) on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 6:18pm :

In Reply to: OK...waitaminute... posted by Jimmie from evrtwa1-ar8-4-65-020-184.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net (4.65.20.184) on Monday, May 20, 2002 at 5:16pm :

...it's CGI man.

They used "morphing" technology (wow, remember when THAT was all the rage?) for Donavan's Destruction. They were used in conjunction with "articulated puppets used in computer image processing sequence."

: : The moving Zeppelin and the spinning prop on the Pilatus were also done with CGI, and the rotating blades in the temple look also like CGI.

: ok,I concur, for now, with the propellor (as the camera trucks in THROUGH it) and the spinning blades (forgot about those - they DID look CG)...the zeppelin seems to have the 'glowing' edges around it visible with a model against a blue screen.Perhaps it was a mixture of the two. However, I think you might be reading too much into the "Donovan's Digital Compositing".....

: I STILL think that the head was stop-motion, but perhaps, as the words DIGITAL COMPOSITING suggest, it was COMPOSITED (I.E. Inserted into the existing 'plate') using digital techniques, INSTEAD of using a blue screen...so instead of making the usual requisite BG plate, interpositive, etc, they simply digitally INSERTED (or 'laid-over', if you will) the pre-existing stop-motion shot of D's head decaying, Thereby cutting down on the number of film components needed for the shot. Our more film-knowledgable folks about could clarify as to whether this would be cheaper or not...?
: I could buy that it was INSERTED digitally...but the head itself was S-M....hmmmm...this is a sticky one, yeah?

: Good discussion, though!!

: Jimmie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com