Nope...Just checked it myself.....

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jimmie from evrtwa1-ar8-4-65-020-184.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net (4.65.20.184) on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 1:00pm :

In Reply to: I just re-checked the "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones" book... posted by Brett Maverick Lambert from edtntnt12-port-20.dial.telus.net (161.184.206.20) on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 6:18pm :

...and, on page 194, in the upper left corner near the photo of the Grail Knights' Book, the EXACT wording is :

"The effect, tagged as "donovan's Destruction", marked a technological breakthrough in effects work: it was the first shot completely COMPOSITED in a computer and scanned back out to film. It also utilized the computer image processing technique of morphing developed for a transformation sequence in Lucasfilm's "Willow".
Spielberg had challenged the ILM effects team to show the scene without the usual cutaways during which an actor's physical transformation is traditionally advanced by makeup or other tricks. (A LA THE OLD WOLFMAN MOVIES - Jimmie) To creat the effect, ILM created LIFESIZE PUPPETS representing various phases of deterioration. The images were then SCANNED INTO A COMPUTER where a computer graphics team processed them to seamlessly blend into each other."

SOOOOoooooo...the head itself WAS NOT cgi, but a series of puppet heads in various stages of decay (Two of which are shown on page 197 - Jimmie), "photo'd" (for lack of a better word) and the morphing technique was applied to what amounted to numerous static shots of these puppet heads to creat the effect of one of them 'flowing', if you will, into the next to creat the effect of accelerated decrepitude......in effect, computer proccessed stop motion :) Only cooler, and probably took ALOT less time, hehe.

Not a cgi head, but the computer WAS used to proccess the effect...I guess, in this rarest of cases, EVERYBODY was a bit right :)
And that's how I like these sort of things to end up....

Later,

Jimmie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com