It's all how you look at it.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (63.201.187.189) on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 10:04pm :

In Reply to: Re: Plus posted by James from host-216-78-21-153.cae.bellsouth.net (216.78.21.153) on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 7:27pm :

For one thing, Return of the Jedi in many peoples' opinions would not make the cut as one of the strongest of the series. Beyond that, nothing got into Empire or Jedi that wasn't really part of his vision. It could be said that Kershner or Marquand maybe got better performances out of the actors than Lucas could have, but all the other things that a director is responsible for (mainly the visual design and look of a film), Lucas took care of himself. This is not to take away from the great artists involved in the visual creations, but ultimately, Lucas had final say (usually what is reserved for the "director") on both Empire and Jedi. I've always thought that Miles Davis had a razor thin tone on the trumpet. I'm also of the opinion that he surrounded himself with extraordinary talent. Does that mean that the record "Kind of Blue" is not his vision? I don't think so. If you want to look at which of the movies stand alone, all you're really left with is A New Hope (episode 4). The Empire Strikes Back makes no sense whatsoever unless you've seen A New Hope, let alone Return of the Jedi. You call the original versions of the trilogy "the real versions", but many do not feel that way. As far as putting both versions on the market and racing them against each other goes, I believe that the average consumer out there could care less. To them it's just "Star Wars". When did Lucas say that he likes the new films (episodes 1 & 2) better? Updating the old films does not equate to that statement. Cheers

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

: : George can do whatever he wants with his movies.

: True. Legally anyway. But several factors make this a weaker argument than many fans see it as.

: -Two of the strongest entries bear a different director's name.

: -Meaning, all of the films are the result of the talent and inspiration of MULTIPLE artists, and Lucas is essentially saying that their art isn't as important as his new 'point and click' vision. One man's model spaceship is just as much art as Lucas' characters and dialogue.

: -Nearly every great artist throughout time has denied that 'they' ever created anything. Hey, if Mozart didn't take credit, forgive me if I'm not sold on the pro-Lucas argument that 'HE did this or that'.

: Hey, we all grew up with George Lucas, but it's silly to play the 'visionary' card every time he does something dumb. I enjoy the new prequels. But without that crude, unfinished original trilogy, they'd have very little resonance.

: And I'd also enjoy a 6 film 'complete saga' version. I just don't see how he justifies burying the real versions. He should make both versions, OT and SE, available and see which set sells more. (Gee, I wonder.)

: No, if Lucas thinks the old films are anything less than his new digital film, he's fooling himself and losing his connection with the real artist within him.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com