Okay, finished "The Philosopher's Stone" last night..........

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Operator Jake from usimsptc11-128.usinternet.com (216.17.12.128) on Sunday, June 02, 2002 at 1:50pm :

We have a winner!!
This is certainly the best Indy novel that I have read yet.
The villians were good and loathsome, Indy actually kicks butt like he's supposed to, and the historical touches were a good thing to relate to.
I read with as much interest as any reader when our hero hitches a ride across the Atlantic on the USS Macon, and never thought much of it until the end of the book when Mr. McCoy pointed out a few of the background stories on certain people, places, and things in his work.
When I was still at language school, I visited Big Sur with a guide who pointed out where a Navy dirgible went down in '35. It wasn't until I read that footnote at the end that I realized that he was talking about the Macon.
It gave me a certain "I was there feeling," I guess.
If you'll permit, my vote for favorite part in the novel was when Indy laments to Marcus over coffee that he sometimes feels that his searching for "bits of trash and bone" weren't amounting to much in the grand scheme of things as he observes the old lady selling apples on the street corner in the cold rain.
Marcus goes on to console Indy by telling him that perhaps one day he will be the one to find an ancient secret to helping the world, or; as he put it, "to fill our bellies."
Here's hoping, Dr. Jones.
Indy bought an apple with a dollar bill after he left the cafe, and asked the woman to keep the ninety-five cents in change for something hot to eat.
Indy, it's times like that I just want to slap you on the back and buy you a Coke.
Anyway, after reading this one, "Dino Eggs," "The Hollow Earth," and "Secret of the Sphinx" make a lot more sense.
My only complaint with this book? Libya is NOT on the Red Sea.
Let's be careful out there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com