Just as a weak defense....

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Friday, June 14, 2002 at 11:21am :

In Reply to: Uh oh... posted by graml from user-2ivev8a.dialup.mindspring.com (165.247.125.10) on Friday, June 14, 2002 at 7:08am :

...for McCoy, you're dead on target. The publisher/editor cut the crud out of most of his books, which left gaping holes in plot lines. McCoy complained bitterly on what they did to his last book, and last I heard vowed never to write for that publisher again. Can't say I blame him. As to the other points, totally agree with all made. I'd still recommend you read all of them in order, and I mean all, as then you can form your own opinion and see why folks have the opinions they do regarding the differences between the authors. Who knows, you may LIKE the ones we really didn't! It's happened! Regards. Michaelson

: There has always been some "polite" discussion on the importance of the novels in the Indy canon. Personally, I think that the Rob MacGregor novels were the best, though with "Seven Veils" being the weakest. Sadly, "Seven Veils" also includes an important plot device for the remaining novels. So I would still recommend slogging through it. I read the MacGregor novels out of order, and it through off the continuity. If you can, try reading them in order.
: The Martin Caiden novels are real yawn-fests that should be avoided like an ancient crypt full of snakes. I've found VCR manuals that were more interesting. Not to mention the fact that VCR manuals are often written much better. Ugh.
: The Max McCoy novels seem to be the most popular with other Indyfans. I can understand why; they're kind of fun and rather short. Reminds me of a girl I knew in high school. Anyhow, if you can leap across the often gaping plot holes, you'll be rewarded with an adventure story that won't take more than a day and a half to read. I don't know if McCoy just doesn't know how to develop his stories fully, or if the publisher just wouldn't let him develop his stories to the full extent, but these novels left me feeling a tad hungry.
: I'll get down off my soapbox now. Happy reading!
: -graml

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com