Terrific!

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Belosch from ppp-206-170-6-98.rdcy01.pacbell.net (206.170.6.98) on Friday, June 28, 2002 at 11:43pm :

In Reply to: Well, so what did everybody think of Minority Report? posted by The Graduate from tarawa.nrlssc.navy.mil (128.160.117.226) on Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 10:32am :

In fact, I JUST finished writing about this movie on another website, and being the lazy bum that I am, I'll simply copy&paste it over here, with some changes:

I thought it was RIVETING, exhilarating entertainment.
For starters, the opening sequence was absolutely SENSATIONAL! It established the premise strongly, and Spielberg and Co. did a beautiful job of creating and ratcheting up the suspense level throughout. ("Under a minute, Chief" "Which house is it?" "Did he leave the door open?!") Wonderful stuff! Then, with the arrest of the 'future murderer' who pleads that he didn't do anything, the problematic nature of pre-crime becomes clear. And I liked how the presentation of philisophical issues, like the question of determinism-vs.-free-will, didn't seem "tacked-on," but grew out of the action itself.
Yes, the action: when Anderton's electro-magnetic car is being "commandeered," and he realizes he must flee, saying something like "everybody's gotta run," I was thinking "Here we go." And with the action scenes that followed, I was saying to myself "NICE to have you back, Steven!" I thought the action in this movie displayed an ingenuity, energy and wit that Spielberg hadn't shown in YEARS (decades?). It's definitely "over-the-top" comic-book stuff, and it's up to the viewer if they accept the occasionally implausible stunts and escapes (such is the case with Indiana Jones, James Bond and John McClane as well). So, to fuse such summer entertainment with philosophical content was quite an achievement, I thought.

- Now, I can think of some weaknesses, as I see them, but I'll leave that to another time. Suffice to say that it was wonderful to see that Spielberg has recaptured his old magic.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com