your faulty argument

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Donovan from ool-4352b5f0.dyn.optonline.net (67.82.181.240) on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 at 11:55am :

In Reply to: Asia is the capital of piracy... posted by The Graduate from tarawa.nrlssc.navy.mil (128.160.117.226) on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 at 10:12am :

So then your argument is that every DVD from any Asian country is pirated. Brilliant.

I concede that there is a pirating problem in Asia (more specifically in China), but that does not mean that this particular DVD is a bootleg version. I have an all code asian import DVD of the Twin Peaks pilot that I got through Amazon - this title has not been released in the US because in the US a different company holds licensing rights and they haven't yet put it out. It is, none the less, an official release. In the US you can buy Black Hawk Down on DVD today, anywhere. It doesn't come out in the UK until September 16th (http://www.blackstar.co.uk/) does this mean the US version is bootleg? of course not.

In fact, in the UK several episodes of Young Indiana Jones were released to the home video market by Paramount UK that have yet to see release in the US (for instance this tape, which came out in 1993 has two episodes not on video in the US releases: http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000028465) but they are clearly NOT bootlegs.

It's presumptious of you to assume that you know the status of DVD releases in every country in the world. This might be a bootleg, maybe. But unless you work for Lucasfilm (which I doubt since you spell his name Lucus) or Paramount and have some hard evidence that this is not an officially licensed Asian release then why don't you pipe down.

Lastly, of course I'll buy the US versions when they're released (at some point in the distant future), until then I can enjoy watching the film on my DVD player.

Meanwhile I'm sure Lucas, Spielberg and Ford appreciate your efforts to help pad their wallets.

: From films, to music, to computer programs. Just because they come in offical pakaging does not mean it's legal. There have been no offical DVD releases for the Raiders series yet. I don't know if someone has already said this, but these DVD's are copies of the laserdisks. It is illegal in places like China, but enforcement is too low. By buying such products, you are not helping to support Indy products, for your money will not go to Spielberg,Ford, or Lucus. Below is an article concering this problem.
: Ben

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com