But they did...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 at 6:19pm :

In Reply to: Sure, you know; like Henry Rollins! posted by graml from user-2ivev1l.dialup.mindspring.com (165.247.124.53) on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 at 6:47am :

When Temple of Doom came out, they offered ball caps, tee shirts, pajamas, sleeping bags (I know, I own one of each in my collection) and sold licenses to just about anybody who would sign the paperwork. There was such a glut of TofD merchandise that the franchise almost drowned from the backlash, as folks just didn't want all the stuff that was dumped on the market. The TofD toys were stopped in mid production, with only 3 of the proposed 5 action figures produced. You could find the clothing in stores such as Big Lots, Inc. for literally pennies on the dollar. Lucas learned his lesson in IJ gear, as when LC came out, he targeted mostly the adult market, and licensed items such as the high end jackets, fedoras, etc. rather than the ball cap wearing crowd. If you watch eBay, you'll see this TofD merchandise almost everyday. It's really fortunate, though, as it does keep the prices down for the new collector to get into the market. The Raiders merchandise is really getting ridiculous regarding pricing, as there was not all that much offered when it came out in the theaters. Needless to say, those items are bringing a premium now. Hind sight being 20/20, if I had only stocked up on those Kenner toys I passed at Big Lots that were 99 cents for two figures on the card....I'd be retired! (grins) Regards. Michaelson

: The Indiana Jones franchise has always suffered from bad merchandising. Maybe that's a good thing, because I think George Lucas really sold his soul when it comes to Star Wars merchandise. What kind of person uses Darth Maul shampoo? But I would've liked to have seen more Indywear over the years. Not gear, really, because that stuff's out on the market anyway. But Indy shirts and baseball caps and stuff would've sold well. At least with me.
: -graml

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com