More is less?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Forrestal from 66-106-175-34.customer.algx.net (66.106.175.34) on Thursday, July 11, 2002 at 8:47pm :

In Reply to: None, I hope posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 at 6:34pm :

It's fine to see a character, especially an ACTION character reacting to...what shall we call it? External stimuli? However, motivation is what I prefer to see in a character. I find it more interesting to see where a character comes from and why he acts/reacts the way he does when confronted with choices.
However, maybe you're right and we don't need all this baggage in Indy's case. Raiders worked very well without revealing really anything about Indy's background - except that unfortunate (?) incident with the 15-year old Marion. Raiders was done in such a way that the audience immediately gets the feeling of knowing Indiana Jones. We have seen movies with heroes who are flawed, and when we watch Indy, we project what we suspect and expect into that amalgam of all adventure heroes, thus making him familiar. And yet, and maybe it's for the better, at least the Indy from Raiders and TOD, remains somewhat of a mystery.
That's where LC failed so miserably. Apart from being almost scene by scene a remake of Raiders, LC added unimportant background knowledge about Indy's life. The whole train sequence was just a lame attempt at explaining a few things about Indy's sense of fashion, his phobias, his chin scar, and it showed his determination and sincerity at a young age. The father-son story was a bit better, but not by much. The whole relationship could be summed up on a paper napkin in less than a minute.
In conclusion, Indiana Jones's actions speak for himself, and if we get those background stories, then they should be integrated into the story in a way that's not forced. Which brings me back to the Marion/Indy relationship. There was enough info to add to the knowledge about Indy's life and character (the single man, looking for adventure, unable to settle down?), but it didn't seem as forced like the explanation for Indy's snake phobia. Indy shouldn't fall victim to silly gags like the snake pit, he needs to be a somewhat mysterious fella. Although, I doubt he will ever be as mysterious as his overlooked competitor:

-Forrey

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com